Springfield 1911

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I asked awhile back about cutting a stainless Springfield 1911 and was told they were hard but engravable so I took it on here is the right side. The stainless cut nice it was consistent all the way thru. Let me know what I did wrong.
Thanks,Leland pohl springfield.jpg

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Flintdoubles, it looks pretty neat and tidee with good form and good shapes. Regards, Rob

monk

Staff member
fwiw-- a beautiful job to my eye. i don't like the border below the ejection port. i don't see this harmonizing with the scroll style. just mpo.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the comments monk I agree about the border did you ever do things you wish you hadn't thats 1.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I will have to agree with monk about the boarder, and yes, I have engraved things that I regretted later to, the real challenge is to come up with a fix for it. It takes guts to put yourself and your work online here. I like your concept it flows quite nicely, and it is a really great job all in all. Thanks for reporting how the slide cuts.
Skill comes from diligence.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Flintdoubles, if you don't like the border below the ejection port it could easily be re-cut into a running leaf or bat wing border. Easy on a stainless slide as no re-blue required.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, for the comments, I am going to put a running leaf in the border just have not had time to get back to it. I spent my time trying to make rounder scrolls and the border just didn't get thought out good enough,the running leaf will help.
Thanks again,Leland

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work Leland, I recently worked on one, engraving was not too bad but the gold border was a PITA. Undercut was constant resharpening about every 1/2 inch using a dubed knife graver.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Dave, no gold on this one sounds like I should happy about that. I had done a pair of stainless Ruger vaquero this spring and found them to be very inconsistent hard and soft spots the hard spots were very hard but manageable. The Springfield I thought cut consistent and not that hard sure I had to sharpen more but not a lot more.I did notice when stippling the background it would roll the point quickly had to resharpen a lot.