Stainless Steel Rings

jdh

I made a couple of stainless steel rings to practice engraving on and found out they were too hard to engrave well. I even made one out of C1018 mild steel and it was difficult to do. I know I'm just beginning but sheesh.

I've searched the internet for some 302 stainless bar stock but it seems to be darned near unobtainable. One of the online metal places has it for $28 for 11". That's about $10 shipping cost. That's nuts.

I don't have an account at H/C and none of the engraving suppliers have any that I can find. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm using a GRS ring holder setup in a GRS vise with a Classic airgraver. Neither Carbalt nor HSS bits work worth a hoot. In addition to the hardness issue, it is dashed hard to keep the tool bit positioned correctly cutting around the curved surface but if it were less hard that would be easier.

troutbox

stainless is hard to engrave. i broke alot of tips trying to get the hang of it. i've done 300 and 400 series. if you just need to practice on something, go to your thrift store and buy some pans or some knives. you might even have some in your drawers that you don't use. (pans will be loud though as they will amplify the piston in the tool).

jdh

I have been practicing on mild steel sheet metal both hot and cold rolled. I cut it up into ovals and polish it up some. I've also used mild stainless steel sheet metal prepared the same way. The stainless sheet works fine so I thought I'd turn up some rings and practice on them.

I'll try the brass fittings. Thanks for the replies.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if there's a decent scrap yard near you, you'd be surprized what may be obtained in such a place. the yard where i buy has all manner of ss there. if you like, i'll check and let you know if there's some 302 there.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
if there is a mechanical contractor near you, find the name and inquire about s.s 1/2 and 3/4 tubing IN THE SCRAP PILE, if they ask tell them what you are PRACTICING on. They are likely to give you a piece. I personally would go and talk to the guy or girl who works in that shop.............bypass the office. Good luck. paps

jdh

Thanks for the replies. I got some 304 stainless rod from Fastenal and it turns and drills good but I'm having the same trouble engraving it I had with the other. It does some better but not enough to tell. It might be that the setup is not rigid enough. I'll try to grip it directly in the vice jaws.

Monk, thanks. If you can find something I'll pay for it. There aren't any junk yards around here. There really isn't any industry at all. I did manage to get some stainless scrap from a sheet metal shop in Tyler and it cut's good. I bought a couple of little scraps of brass from a welding shop in Tyler and they charged way too much for it. Brass is expensive.

Sponsors