Still life with Skull

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is my most ambitious digital painting thus far. I took several photos of various exposures with candlelight only and some with fill lights. I then took the best images to combine in my painting, so as to give it a far greater dynamic range. Just as one's eyes truly see objects in dim light far better than a single photo can reproduce. I've spent 40 hours on this image, can we all say "OBSESSIVE!"

Hope you enjoy. Still-life_With_Skull_.jpg

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very interesting Mark. I'm impressed with the refraction of the wine glass onto the book, although it looks a little too strong, IMHO.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for your interest and input Big-Un. Actually, I softened the shadow of the glass from the photo. As you can see, I moved the position of the candle and I felt that the shadow was too strong, even if it was what the camera recorded. Here is the actual photo that I used for reference. Still life with skull - cropped.jpg

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for your interest and input Big-Un. Actually, I softened the shadow of the glass from the photo. As you can see, I moved the position of the candle and I felt that the shadow was too strong, even if it was what the camera recorded. Here is the actual photo that I used for reference. View attachment 44186

Now I see! I originally thought it should be softened somewhat but now I understand. Great rendition.

Sponsors