Question: Stippling for inlay

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,
Can stippling point raise enough teeth/ burr To hold gold wire??
I watched someone on YouTube used stippling for gold wire bed after undercutting the outline edges of an animal.
this seem to be a faster way to lay gold wires but will it hold ?

Thanks,
Denny

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
undercutting is good. best to raise opposed "stubs" as i call them. since they go in opposed directions, punch the gold down. it will lock in place and should hold well. if the vid you saw shows the gold in place, it was likely held by the undercuts, rather than the stippling.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
thank you gentlemen, nice day for learning. paps

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
And it also depends on where and into what the inlay is going.
A narrow line inlay will hold and stay with both sides of the channel undercut.
A wide line inlay is best with undercuts and the addition of burs in the bottom of the channel.
For firearms, animal or form inlays the security of a perimeter undercut and a multi- directional bur field is the safest because of the effects of recoil when the gun is fired.

monk

Staff member
And it also depends on where and into what the inlay is going.
A narrow line inlay will hold and stay with both sides of the channel undercut.
A wide line inlay is best with undercuts and the addition of burs in the bottom of the channel.
For firearms, animal or form inlays the security of a perimeter undercut and a multi- directional bur field is the safest because of the effects of recoil when the gun is fired.
thanks, jb. i couldn't remember the term, "bur". the mind is usually the first thing to go in my family.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
thanks, jb. i couldn't remember the term, "bur". the mind is usually the first thing to go in my family.
Thanks Jay,
Growing up I was taught that it was spelled"burr."
But it seems that the modern spelling is with just one R.
I don't know for sure which is correct. Do you?

Last edited:

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I have tried to use the stippling with wire. It seems marginally to work. I am thinking a more random stipell pattern may hold the wire better or I may not be placing a heavy enough stipple on the work? I saw this on the master engraver chanelle on u-tube. I am most certainly not done trying this method by any means, as I have had marginally good results to. So is this a double negative or a double positive? I'm so confused, please help me.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
My Webster's New International Dictionary, with some 2660 pages of definitions says bur is a variant of burr. There are at least 15 different definitions under burr, including the use of the form bur. It also includes the "bur" made by a burin when engraving metal.

PS...published about 1965.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
My Webster's New International Dictionary, with some 2660 pages of definitions says bur is a variant of burr. There are at least 15 different definitions under burr, including the use of the form bur. It also includes the "bur" made by a burin when engraving metal.
PS...published about 1965.

Thank you for clearing that up Sam. My Webster's is about as old as yours.
But I am getting too old and lazy to use it. And it's blooming HEAVY !

Latest posts

Sponsors