Help, please: The backside of a buckle?

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
I need some information about the back of a buckle. On a high quality buckle, how does the fastening look like?
I only know the method shown on the picture - are there better ways to fasten the belt?
Mario

Attachments

• beltbuckle.gif
    beltbuckle.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 149

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, I'm working on buckles as well, but I don't understand your drawing quite well
I know there are several methods to close a belt, I suppose your drawing is for a closed belt ?

arnaud

Attachments

• Scan50127.JPG
    Scan50127.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mario,
With your last drawing the end of the belt is usually passed through the loop and next to the back of the buckle.
The knob or hook is inserted into one of the holes in the belt.
The tail end of the belt is usually held by a leather or metal loop that is fixed or sliding.
It would be on the left of the buckle as your drawing is shown.
If I've managed to confuse you please let me know and I will draw it in over your drawing.
Best regards.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, that is like I know it.When you close the belt, the end goes true the same attachment where the belt starts.
A bit difficult to explain but I try another design using yours

Attachments

• beltbuckle.jpg
    beltbuckle.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, your second drawing has it all. I do belt buckles and I use a slight variation for the back. The belt loop is often a round wire formed and soldered. I use a swivel mechanism and for the part that goes into the belt I use a dog leg shape. I get out one of my buckles and take a picture. I just can't do it at the moment.
My buckles are considered high end, in price that is. So, for me the detail is important.
But from what I've seen your second drawing is what most use.
I posted an image of one of my buckles as the last post to Barry Hands "gilded pearl" thread. It's the front of the buckle; I'll post a picture of the mechanism soon.
Kevin P.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
I am confused now :confused:
Arnaud, on your version the end of the belt will be seen at a front view when closed. Is that right so far?
On my version the end goes under the other end and will not be seen when closed.

John and Kevin, if it is possible, can you post a picture? I would be happy about.
Thank you, Mario.

monk

Staff member
mario: i've made well over 1500 buckles using this method. none have ever come back to me for repair. the leather belt will have a snap fastener on the buckle end. it loops thru the "d-ring and snaps together which then holds the buckle. the other buckle end with the hook engages a hole in the belt.
i size the d-ring to suit the belt width. it's usually of .062 or greater brass or ss wire, bent with pliers to shape. the retaining tubes are usually of copper, brass, or sterling.
i always make the hook at least 3 times longer than the thickness of the belt leather.
i naturally use the highest strength solder possible for the materials i'm working with.

Attachments

• D-RINGS.JPG
    D-RINGS.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Monk - with the snap fastener you use, the belt is replaceable? So i could change from a black to a brown belt if needful. That is much more flexible than my stitched version...

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Belt buckle mechanism

Mario, this just a scan but it shows the features. The belt loop swivels. The cross piece is riveted but not so much that the loop isn't free enough to swivel. The post that goes into the belt is a dog leg shape.
HTH
Kevin P.

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Belt and retainer loops.

Mario,
Sorry to be late getting back to you.
But Monk and Kevin posted good pics.
I use a swivel type belt D-loop and a soldered on hook on the solid type of buckle.
My belts have two press studs positioned far enough apart so that a leather or metal belt loop retainer can hold the loose end of the belt.
Best.

Attachments

• scan0010.jpg
    scan0010.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 78
  • scan0011.jpg
    scan0011.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 66

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
A little idea from a total ignorance!

Hi Mario,
I was reading your thread today and found your idea of interchangeable belts quite interesting…
I must say that I have not made a buckle never in my life but that was the spark for the design that I am attaching here. It was a quick 3D job I made this afternoon to share with you but I think that you can catch the idea and, may be, you would like to give it a try.
The concept is that, to change the belt you only have to turn the pin a quarter to take it off the buckle, letting you change it to another belt and set it again. I think that it may works and will be a really fast process. I hope you like the idea!
All the best, Leonardo.

Attachments

• Hebilla_1.jpg
    Hebilla_1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 52
  • Hebilla_Pasador.jpg
    Hebilla_Pasador.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Pasador.jpg
    Pasador.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 46

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Now i got it - great information!
Seems to me, i was the last one on this planet not knowing how that works...
Thank you very much. I'll show you my results as soon as possible.
Mario

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, you asked the question of a 'high quality' belt.
It's been my experience that men, in the US, don't change their buckle from one belt to another. They put the buckle on a particular belt and leave it there.
I'm sure there are many differences of opinion; that's just my experience,
Kevin P.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario another point that hasn't been made is that there are "chicago screws". They are used to fasten the belt to the buckle rather than sewing the leather. The one part screws into the other (internal threading). They are quite common.
Kevin P.

monk

Staff member
mario: when i do buckles for people, i always have them supply their own belt. i instruct them to get them with the snap on the end, otherwise i can rivit the end.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am confused now :confused:
Arnaud, on your version the end of the belt will be seen at a front view when closed. Is that right so far?
On my version the end goes under the other end and will not be seen when closed.

John and Kevin, if it is possible, can you post a picture? I would be happy about.
Thank you, Mario.

Yes Mario, in my version the end of the belt is seen.

I'm still thinking about another design to make a buckle and belt, as I think the way you want to make it is not really a high quality design.
The buckle belts I always use are the ones like the buckles on belts of a watches.

However, I like the mechanism Leonardo shows.

arnaud

sorry for the late reply, but I was on a holiday for a few days

Jackson

Originally Posted by Mario Sarto View Post
I am confused now

Mario;
Here is a few photos to help explain.
This is called a swing back.(photo1) You can get them in various sizes to match your belt width. It swings to allow the 'tip' of the belt to easily it through then lay flatter when hooked than a solid post back. This particular belt has snapps to switch belts easily.(photo2) Some also have 'chigao screws' which hold better(photo5) The tip feeds through the swing back on top to be seen in the front.(photo3)If you dont want to see the tip it can feed through behind the belt(photo4)with no need for tip or keeper. Since most guys wear their belt on the same hole all the time it could be cut right before the hole so it doesnt go through the swing back and it would lay flatter. But the tip and keeper finish off the look and make it a complete set (photo6)
You could have a belt stitched together after the buckle is completed but then you would not be able to wear your 'cool new buckle' on any other belt. Some guys have lots of buckles but only 1 favorite belt.
Hope that helps
Jackson

Attachments

• buckle2.jpg
    buckle2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 33
  • buckle3.jpg
    buckle3.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 28
  • buckle4.jpg
    buckle4.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 26