The Next Best Thing To Taking Engraving Classes

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
While books are shurely a fine way of learning, (and I may get some disagreement here) I feel that the DVD's & VHS video's combined with books
is the next best way of learning. Next to "hands on experience". Of course
being able to take classes with a qualified instructor is the berries so to speak, but for those wanting to learn, and may not be able at this point in their life afford the classes,its is a very good means of learning. I have many
DVD's & VHS video's ,and books that I referr to , but what I like about the
videos is that you can see how a particular sequence is carried out.Setting stones ,Gold inlay,overlay,the use of specific gravers,what ever.Many of the
top engravers of today have produce instructing video's, I have not bought one yet that I didn't learn a wealth of information from.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I would echo Bill's assessment of video instruction. One other thing that has proven to be a wealth of information is the guild show in Reno. When you look at other engravers work many questions pop into your mind. There standing right before you is the person who did the work and they are so willing to explain in every detail what they did to accomplish that particular task.
As Bill mentioned, nothing beats hands on class room work with great instructors like you find at the GRS classes.

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Y'all are 100% correct !! I have been in the biz for 48 years and find that there is much to be learned still --- I'm talking to Ron Smith now trying to get him to consider making videos of his techniques --- I believe he will do so in the future. I seldom find an engraver that I don't learn something from. Ken

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Ken,
Do you think you could get Ron to participate in the forum? His skill in scrolls alone could add greatly to our learning curve. Ron is also a master at mixing metals for different inlay colors. I would love to get a discussion going on that process.

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Ken ,
That's a great idea I'm going to try to contact Ron myself just to encourage him to do so. When masters of this trade such as Ron Smith ,and others of his caliber,are gone what a shame to loose such knowledge. The new book Ron just put out is excellent"ADVANCED DRAWING OF SCROLLS" but a video
to go along with it would be such a benefit. Each and every master of this art
has something to contribute ,and to preserve for future artist. Hopefully Ron and others like him will in as many ways possible,Books ,video's,tutorials,ect.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Don't forget another great learning aid.
The castings available from some of the top engraver and FEGA are the next best thing to having a piece of the actual work in your hands to study.
You can see the depth of the cuts and background as well as the variation of the width of the cut.
Just a reminder.
John B.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

I heartily endorse what Jon B has just said. The castings are worth their weight in gold. Also the FEGA DVD's are extremley useful and you get some of the USA top engravers in your living room.

Cheers
Andrew Biggs

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Lee Griffiths has some very nice castings. I recommend those to anyone who wants to study fine engraving. Also, I have a beautiful casting from Roger Sampson of a miniature gun that's just fantastic. I'm not sure if Roger sells them or not, but you might contact him. / ~Sam

Norm

I'm always excited when I see peoples work and look at the pictures to see styles for layout etc. The prospect of having castings, something I didn't know was available, sounds great! Can anyone post where castings can be purchased online and perhaps suggest a few to begin with?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Norm.
Go to www.fega.com and you can download a photocopy catalog of the castings that they have available.
The castings are MUCH higher quality than the catalog but it gives you an idea of what's available from them.
Most of these are in the $10-15 price range.
For other castings you will have to contact the individual engravers.
Best of luck, hope this is some help.
John B.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
Video classes in engraving I think are almost as good as live classes.
During live classes, students can ask related question and delve into
the finer points. With a video class you can go over section again and
again. With a close up x1, x2, x3 on DVD players, you can see even
more than you would be able to in live class. Seeing and imitating the
way someone engraves has improved my own engraving.
Sort of catching their rhythm and flow, and the confidence of knowing
where they want the graver to go. There is definitely timing to this sport.

I still buy the books, but more for resource reference
material than to read straight through.
The casting have help in that they give reference to the way engraving
should look. This has been an excellent thread with the recourse for rentals
and the casting that are available. Both of which I intend on taking
advantage of. In a class that I took form Sam in advanced engraving
Sam had said, "You can tell how determined a student is by the size of
his reference library". This is not an exact quote, but generally I think
it was close to what he ment.

Jim

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi ken .. that is a good idea asking ron to make vedio when i get to reno i will look him up and i also will ask him to do it and for all of you who want castings or talk to ron and others try to get to the fega show in reno in jan . ron p

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
In respons to Yves' post about the Kornbrath floorplate with oak leaves and acorns, I've often said that it is the finest example of oak leaf engraving I've ever seen. Oak leaves are a common motif, but Kornbrath's delicately sculpted version with hairline stems simply puts the rest to shame (my opinion). If anyone's interested, I believe FEGA sells castings. / ~Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors