The Three Amigos

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I have a couple of good friends who I visit with each year in Cody, Wyoming. One is HB - a lifetime Lawman from Texas, and the other is Keith Seidel - world famous leather craftsman and Saddle Maker from Cody. Keith is always a great host for our gatherings and one of our annual favorite times afield is shooting Prairie Dogs on a endless ranch he has permission for us to hunt...we shoot long range off-hand with Keith's souped-up custom AR15s.

After lasts year's visit I opened a box in my safe that I had not had out for years. It was a 44-40 NF 7 1/2" Colt SAA. I had broken the gun down years ago, and, unfortunately, had robbed some parts for client's guns that came up missing or needed to be replaced. I inventoried parts, ordered some replacement pieces and polished the gun for engraving. Just as I had laid out and cut the shovel head with a feather pattern, I had one of those "Eureka" moments that old men have. What if.....Yes!! What if I called my Buds and offered to make up a set of three Colts for the following year in Cody...wouldn't shooting Prairie Dogs with SAA Colts be even more fun?

I called them both, told them (a little of) of my plan, and asked each to send me one of their favorite SAA Colts. HB Sent a .45 4 1/2" he had had since he was 16. Keith dug out a 5 1/2" .45, and I went to work. With the mystery building, I started getting questions...questions, questions. By now have revealed most of my Amigos plans for Cody 2023. Keith was very quick to jump aboard and has offered to build three spectacular Gunfighter Rigs - tooled and with bullet bands and engraved buckles. Harry has been our wrangler, armorer, and continues to build on the event...including Sombreros he found south of the border.

I finished the work on the Three Amigos last week and sent them off to the Custom Shop in Hamilton, Montana for final smithing, bluing and check out. These guns will ride with me to Cody for presentation in August. I stuck the guns together for a quick studio photo before I shipped them away.

Amigos_05.jpg Amigos_06.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
nice stor y, nice work. .much practice for you in pa.if you ever visit. groundhogs & lots of em.

Travis Fry

You're very fortunate to have friends like that, and it appears they're also very fortunate to have friends like you. Those are outstanding. And with the leather they'll get, your great-great grandkids will still be proud to have them.

I used to shoot PDs a fair bit when my brother lived in the TX Panhandle, and it's hard to have more fun with a gun than that. I have a custom Rem 788 in .222 Magnum that's just waiting for an invite for rodent whacking. And I've considered many a time moving to Cody after my summer working in Yellowstone. If you don't already know the knifemaker Dennis Friedly, look him up when you're in town. He's one of the top makers around, a nice guy, and might even throw you some engraving business too.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
I drool so much when looking at a Seidel saddle that, if I saw both your work together, I would probably expire from dehydration. What a great gift.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Marty: I watched the movie a couple of times - just for a little background noise while I worked on these.

I think I trend a bit toward the Dusty Bottoms character. I don't think he was into it as much as the other two and his crying wasn't as authentic; he wasn't nearly the gunfighter as Ned...Lucky Day did the very best Three Amigos pledge; cough, cough.

Latest posts

Sponsors