Through-the-eyepiece microscope photographs

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, very beautiful as always. What material are the practice plates?

IF I did a tutorial on my bulino dot technique with WIP pics I couldnt do this as I dont use a microscope.

DaveH, I am from Topeka!!! Live in Olathe now, give me a call sometine and lets get together.
Nice work for only 3 months.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
John B: I had a nice trip to Belgium and had an enjoyable supper with Alain Lovenberg and his girlfriend on Friday night. Didn't get to see Phil, though. We talked in great detail about Alain's upcoming Grandmasters class. It's going to be a good one!

I'm not sure what effect having a camera lens that's larger than the scope eyepieces has. I only have one point-and-shoot camera which has a very small lens, and Toan's camera was similar in size to mine. I believe this excellent photography technique needs more research and experimentation to discover what does and doesn't work camera-wise.

I didn't do anything special with lighting. Just used the scope's ring light.

Tim Herman: The plates are steel and brass practice plates. Nothing special.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks very much for taking the time to answer right after your teaching trip to Belgium, Sam.
The photo technique you showed makes it worth while buying a point-n-shoot just to be able to do this.
And to have a handy travel package in the bargain.
The price on these little cameras has come way down. Goody, another toy!
That is some outstanding work you pictured in this tutorial and this technique showed it beautifully.
Glad to hear that you got together with Alain and his lady. Really nice people.
I'm sure he is getting excited about teaching Grand Masters. That is sure to be a barn burner.

Best, John B.

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
When I saw this thread, I just had to try it. I used a 4.0 mega pixel Olympus camera. At first the camera would not focus on the engraving. I look through the scope and it was out of focus. Focused it and took the photo. It worked great.

Joe

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Few days late, but this might be of interest to someone. Few months ago I did a little test for high quality video calls with Skype. From 2:00 to 2:45 there's also a section where I peek through microscope eyepiece with that webcam. I was impressed with the quality of the cam and Skype video quality.

http://vimeo.com/989149

Camera costs only $100, so might be good alternative to tutor someone.

Engraving is Sam's :)

Viljo

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,
Your results are amazing as is your graver control. I tried with my camera but experienced the same problem as was mentioned having a lens much larger than the eyepiece in my scope.

I think a point and shoot with a small lens is what is needed (or perhaps just better photography skills).

Peter

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hi Peter, I'm still having that problem of too large a diameter lens too and think I will have to break down buy the same type of point-n-shoot as Sam has, a Canon SD 790 IS.
He is such a photo guru that I'm sure he did some research to find a good one before he bought.

Viljo, love your links to some of these interesting sites. Your shop looks great.
I know you are pretty computer savvy too and I am not.
Maybe you can answer this for a tech dummy.
When I visit a linked site in a post and return to the main forum I have lost the mark on the threads that indicate that it is unread. Why does this happen and can I fix it, please?

Best, John B.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John B.

An easy way to avoid that is to click the link with the right mouse button. That will open up a menu and let you select 'Open in a new window'. When you're done with looking at the link just close that window. Leaves your forum session untouched while you're off elsewhere.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
John, I was just going to suggest the exact same thing as Steve did. It's the only way to browse.

Well, actually if you use Firefox or any other newer browser, then they have 'tabs'. Mini windows inside main browser window. These are more comfortable than new windows, don't clutter your computer with many open programs. Usually I have at all times about 10-20 opens tabs.

Also, if you have mouse with middle button, then clicking this on a link will usually open it on new tab.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks Viljo and Steve.
I just used your advise for a right click> New Window on the link to Marcus's band in the musical instrument thread and it worked like a charm.
Thanks for the help guys. John B.

Last edited: