Ti practice material

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Good mormimg. I've been asked to engrave some titanium knife handle scales but I have never cut titanium before. Does anyone sell Ti practice plates, I guess they would be too expensive. I've looked around a bit, but I don't know anything about Ti so I don't know what one would order from a supply house, there seems to be a lot of different grades/types. I have no idea what grades are typically used for handle material. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Todd

monk

Staff member
i have a supply of what's called, "commercial pure". not sure what that really means, but what i have cuts pretty well.

monk

Staff member
using a bit of lube-- mineral oil, kerosene, 3 in one wont hurt anything. who knows ? may help a bit. be sure to tape off any sensitive areas, if any, to keep things clean.

TFACARVING

Elite Cafe Member
When you cut 6AL4V it crumbles like cast iron,no nice clean curls. Good luck have fun
Would you say it's similar to hardened cheap stainless in that regard? ( For example the cheap dog tag pendants that run an average of under a dollar)

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
TF, I play around with quite a few cheap dog tags and the dozer really helps the point stay sharp longer! paps

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don’t know never cut dog tags, did initial on a kershaw leek never again. I use a Lindsay 116 on TI works fine, some lube helps

monk

Staff member
Thanks for the replies and the info. I'm just hesitant to cut into someone's knife when I've never touched the stuff.
if you're in good standing with the owner, warn him, and let him assume the risk
Good mormimg. I've been asked to engrave some titanium knife handle scales but I have never cut titanium before. Does anyone sell Ti practice plates, I guess they would be too expensive. I've looked around a bit, but I don't know anything about Ti so I don't know what one would order from a supply house, there seems to be a lot of different grades/types. I have no idea what grades are typically used for handle material. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Todd
shoot me a pm. i'll give you a few pieces if you'll cover the postage. i have so much of this, donating a couple pieces wont send me to the poorhouse

Latest posts

Sponsors