Question: Titanium.

D.M.

Up to what grit it is practical to finish the surface for the engraving? I found that after 600-800 grit it looks the same even if I continue to 1500 grit.
I heard that it is almost impossible to polish Titanium.
I have 6AL-4V grade if it matters.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Me, the Titanium King :big grin:

D.M. no it is not impossible to polish Titanium, I do it all the time. I had to buy all the different polish blocks I could buy and found one.
A blue one that contains almost no fat, meant for polishing Platinum works great and fast. But expensive compared to all the other polish blocks. (20 euro)
A&F a Swiss company has that. Don’t know if you can find it in your country, because it has to do with health. The more diamantine in the polish, the better it polishes, but diamantine is not healthy, so that is why it is not for sale all over.

Another way, which I use even more, as it polishes more precisely is by hand. I don’t know the word in English, but it is a wooden flat stick with leather on it. It is used for watch repair.
The leather is from a goat. Now, if you spray a few times the http://www.grstools.com/tool-sharpening/power-hone-and-accu-finish-wheels/diamond-spray.html on the leather, you will be able to polish no matter what. And a bottle diamond spray containing 1 carat diamond powder, cost 23,90 dollar.

When you need more questions just send ma a PM

arnaud

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Another way, which I use even more, as it polishes more precisely is by hand. I don’t know the word in English, but it is a wooden flat stick with leather on it. It is used for watch repair.

We would call that a "lap stick". Don't you just love the technical names we have in the trade. :yes

Roger

D.M.

Thanks for the answers.
I seldom polish the surfaces because it's shine is too bright. It takes from the engraving more than adds IMO.