Tool Identification Requested -Gravers?

Brian B

Hi Guys,
I'm trying to find out what these tools are used for. They're from my great grandfathers pattern making shop. Circa mid 1900's? I'm a wood carver and I don't think that these are for wood. Are they gravers? Any comments will be appreciated.

Attachments

• graver1.jpg
    graver1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 101
  • graver2.jpg
    graver2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 99

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the two in the middle i'd say yes. the top and bottom ones are way too wide to be regular gravers. altho the very wide ones could be used for some special type of wriggle effect

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
I have some old wood chisels that are close to that look. They were used for decorative channels, coves, etc., when carving moldings. Did they come with sharpening stones?

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One thing I notice is that they do not appear to have a heel on them. They do not look like they were ever used at all. Just because they have graver looking handles doesn't mean they were gravers. Could have been meant for wood carving but never used.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the one has a "v"notch on the face center. somwheres i read that the notch would act as a chip
breaker. so that one, was probaly for metal engraving. were it for wood, no need for the notch. again, jmho