Tools for newbie

ron.g

Is there a site that could give me advise on which tools to start with?
I am new at this and just want a few tools to start with (hand tools not machine).
I have seen the sites that sell them, but do I get a square, flat, round etc?
Also where can I get practice plates?

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Ron
Welcome to the wonderfull world of engraving, For basic hand tools I would try Ngraver he has a good selection. Site should show up on google. I would start with a square graver, For practice plates local steel yard shim stock or home depot/hardware store

Last edited:

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
Ron here is Ngravers site http://www.ngraver.com/cutters.htm you need to keep it, the home page is under constuction.
If you are just wanting to try it out and not spend a lot I would think that a couple of square's and some handles w/a flat on them will do. As far as practice plate's GRS, Cronite, Ngraver are some of the place's that will sell you quailty plate's.
Then as you keep going you will need some way to sharpen your graver's whether it be by hand on a stone or using a power hone.
You will need a engraving ball of some sort.
Good luck on trying this out.:)
http://www.grstools.com/index.html
http://www.cronite.com/default.htm

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
best tool for a newbie: the meeks book. james b. meek. will show all the different things you need to learn. this will include choosing and making tools. i'd say the 1st. serious purchase, above all others would be a powerhone and graver holder, followed later by a ball vise.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hi ron.g
Take a look at the post "Beginning Help" by Redletter1 on this forum.
There is more information there.
Hope this helps to give you a start.
Best of luck. John B.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Lynton McKenzies dvd's show sharpening by hand if you cant afford or want powr at this time. Good close ups and shows hammer & chisel & push engraving as well.
good luck
Kent

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Ron.g..contact Ray Phillips at Ngraver..he is very helpful order a hammer, 6 chisels either high speed tool steel or carbide..1 Belgium chisel handle, 1 handtool holder, and I would also suggest a small bench vise or machinist vise. I would suggest you mount the vise on a pedestal which could be made out of wood or a 4" diameter pipe at a comfortable height. Get some practice plates..GRS is a good source, and that is all I can suggest for now. The start up cost will be around $100.00..good luck in your endeavour..keep us posted..and keep practicing.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

Roki1967

Hello Ron,

I am also new to engraving, and at my shop, Metal Supermarkets Canada, they are located around the world, all individual franchises, we sell all kinds of metal plates from meer inches across, out of the offcut bins, to full size sheets 4' x 8', the offcut bins are a fantastic bargain, usually you can find what you are looking for at about 25-30% off shelf price, its just the end cuts that was left over after the customer took what he needed, it is al new material, just more affordable, and in many thicknesses. Something to think on, as it is all kept indoors as opposed to outdoor storage of a scrap year, but the scrap yard has lots of good finds too, and fun to salvage all kinds of interesting metal parts for all your metal working needs.

Robert J. King

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just one more thought. Make sure you polish your practice plates prior to engraving. They do not need to be mirror finish as it's hard to cut against a glare. Some of the commercially available practice plates are a) very soft and sticky to cut, and b) have an 'egg shell' type finish which doesn't give very good results unless polished. Paying a bit extra for cronite that is already polished on one side is my personal preference. Also, 400 series stainless cuts very well but 300 series should be avoided like the plague!

Once you've got some experience under your belt you might consider some of the GRS goodies such as stainless key tags. DJ Glasser introduced these as he hated seeing engravers practicing on what he terms "Stupid bits of metal!" In other words, the engraver does some wonderful practice work on a piece of metal that is never going to be used or seen again and will probably end up in the back of a drawer somewhere. Better to practice on something practical such as a key ring that can be carried and shown off.

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus is right
Learning what thetools do on junk is a good start but after that
Practicing on something worthwhile is the way to go even if its a small silver round lighter spoon etc.

1. It makes you concentrate more on what you are doing
2. You will have something in your portfolio to show and someday you may need the item to lock in a job
3. It gets you accustomed toworking on items of value so you are not paranoid
4. You will develop your design skills faster working on real items

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
Greetings, Ron. Welcome in ours community. If your budget for purchase of an engraving equipment is not too big, I can recommend to buy a sharpening stones instead of Powerhone. Proceeding from my experience the best choice is the India fine for sharpening and a slab of ceramics for polishing. It costs not expensive but works very effectively

monk

Staff member
you needn't spend $ on practice plates. any junk yard will have bushels of steel punchouts in many sizes, rounds and rectangles. these will be in good condition. you can get hundreds for , well maybe the guy will just give them to you just to get you out of his way !

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To add another comment to Marcus idea, It will also help you to learn to design in a given space. that is important. Learn and study how to draw. Drawing isn't as hard as you think if you know some basic rules on how to study and retain what you see. If you can't draw you can still engrave quite addequately, but you will be needing that skill, so start right now along with your cutting and give some hours to that too.

Good advise coincutter!