Transfer accident

Raul Hinz

Transfer accident
I was at my home shop and I needed to transfer a name on a 1911 slide and I noticed I had forgot my Epson transparencies, so I improvised with 100% cotton paper and it worked but not as clear.
So if any of you find yourself in a bind cotton paper will work.
You can find 100% cotton paper in art supply store :) :) :) :)

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Raul, Are you talking about dampening the paper and burnishing it into the engraving? This is an old time technique used by jewelry engravers for repeating patterns that will need to be reproduced over and over again such as on silverware. It is a good technique for the versitile engraver. Any thick paper will work, like a business card for instance. You mentioned cotton paper and you are referring to "rag" paper I think, right? This is the same paper the printers use to do engravings and etchings. (you can buy this paper in tablet form at art supplies) Is that correct?

Here is the technique in full.

The Paper transfer

1. rub tacky (transfer wax) into the engraving.
2. Dampen the business card, or like type paper. (I just licked it with my tongue)
3. Place over engraving (damp side down) you wish to reproduce ( stamping on the barrel of a gun for instance, one example)
4. Hold carefully in place and don't let it slip while burnishing.
5. Rub your finger along side of your nose and rub this onto the back of the paper for a lubricant.
6. Burnish thoroughly. You will see the pattern began to show through the paper if you are doing it correctly and not letting it slip.
7. Wax the surface you want to transfer the design to.
8. dust talcom powder onto that and blow off excess.
9. Position the paper transfer where you want the transfer to go and press it all over with your finger, light to moderate pressure.
Walah! You will have a clear visible example to follow.

If you have to center the transfer, you can trim it to go in a precise place according to the boundaries of that space, but leave a little tab that you can hold it by while during the transfer process.

Obviously Raul, you found this on your own, but maybe I might help others to understand the process.

Forward!! ......Ron S

Raul Hinz

Thanks Ron
for your respond and information on a way to reproduce a design
Wat I did was Print the name with a Epson printer and us transfer solution and the print came of the 100% cotton paper by burnishing on the gun , just like if I have use ink jet transparencies paper
Raul