transfer declined!!

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I was trying to do some transfers today and It wasnt working, (might be user error). I made copys (toner) and was using fingernail polish. I could get parts of it but not all of it. suggestions please. Griff

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Griff,

If your design is not tiny, and you want some instant gratification without yet going down the excellent route of Tom's Magic Transfer solution with transparent sheets and Epson printers ... (well documented), then draw your design on paper, go to the photocopier, and perhaps reduce the size, print it out mirror image on ordinary paper, lay the standard photocopy on your bare metal thinly wiped with 'chinese white' water color, and tape it to hold steady, flood with actetone, and let dry for a few minutes. This drops the toner ink off the paper, and it is taken up by the chinese white like blotting paper. Photo copy toner is mixed with tiny glue particles ... that's why the last stage coming out of the photocopy is heat rollers to melt that mixed in glue and hence 'fix' the toner, ie stick it to the paper. Now take the photo copypaper off the metal and the pattern will be on the metal. Now heat your metal on a low gas flame on your kitchen range ... not too hot, just enough to melt those wee glue particles and they will stick the design onto the metal and make it more tenacious.

Now do your engraving! The process has only cost you a few cents. Once you start hungering for exquisite small detail and transparent sheets to ease positioning before burnishing the design onto the metal, you should go for the computer print out and transparency sheets plus Tom's transfer solution or its varlous equivalent home brewed mixes.

best

Rod

truehand

I, too, simply use acetone on a clean rag. I've never *needed* to use chinese white or anything like that (although I've tried many methods and they all work fine.. but take too much time). Just a laser/toner printoff placed down on clean metal then a quick wipe with an acetone soaked rag and then quickly peel the paper off while still wet.
That's it!
If I took the time to mess around with chinese white or any of the other transfer solutions, I'd go broke!
Remember, K.I.S.S.
Cheers,
dave:D

Latest posts

Sponsors