Transfer Wax Mixture

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
My buddy, MONK, sent some sheep tallow last week so i could try my hand at making transfer wax. I melted down a few beeswax candles that i had from my mountain-man days, then added the tallow, and kept it stired, i poured the mixture into a container, placed a small paper-towel over it to soak up any grease that will float to the top. The mixture was about 65% beeswax and 35% tallow, in the event that anyone else has the same idea and wants to try it. You"ll know if its correct by running your thumb over it when it becomes solid. I better suggest also, that you find an old coffee can to do your mixture in, do not attempt this in your wifes prized pots or pans if you want to keep peace at home........ i might add, dont boil this stuff, use enough heat to melt it only.

Attachments

• mixture.jpg
    mixture.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

JCP

It is a good idea to melt the waxes in a double boiler to keep it form getting it to hot.

I've never made transfer wax but I shoot Black Powder Cartridge Rifles and make my lube using a double boiler.
It's also makes it safer by helping prevent fires.

Hope this help someone

Smoky the Bear:D

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I started using beeswax & tallow when Lynton McKenzie gave me his can. Later on I made my own. Winston told me that Joe Fugger brought the mix from Austria and got him using it, and he gave some to McKenzie who had never used it before. It's been around a long, long time, and I use it every day for layouts and transfers. Chris DeCamillis says Chapstick works well too, and one engraver I knew used Door Ease (the stuff that keeps doors from sticking). / ~Sam

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This may sound odd but I have never understood how transfer wax is used though I have heard of it for years. My brother and I have always used a white paint type concoction on the metal to draw on and used smoke prints to transfer. Could someone please explain how the transfer wax is used and why is it preferable to what we have been doing.

Thanks,

Roger

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
roger: simply pat your finger on the wax then pat it all over the part. then dust the part with talc powder. then you can direct draw thru the powder/ wax. real esy to see. make a drawing mistake, dab it again and re draw over with the pencil. also you can press this wax into an existing engraving , burnish over with a piece of moist paper, position the paper properly, burnish lightly, and you have a wax impression of the engraving on a new area to be engraved. this is useful for repetitive work. flatware, cylinder flutes, lots of stuff. transparent tape can also be effectively substituted for the piece of moist paper. beeswax alone will work, but a bit of tallow makes it a bit better. not too much, you dont want it to be greasy to the touch.
724-328-4951

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I use clear tape to transfer with the wax. Works like magic for me. I don't dust mine with talc...just draw straight through it for layouts. I also don't claim it's the best method. It's just what I'm used to. Roger, your paint concoction could very well be better.
~Sam