transfer wax

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fingerprint ink

1. It works very well.

2. You can reverse print with it
(stick a piece of tape down with the sticky side up, lift the pattern & apply to the stuck down piece & then discard the first piece of tape. Pull up the stuck down piece of tape & there's the mirror image ready to transfer).

3. Yep, it's messy.... Wear nitrile gloves or not

4.can also be used for ink & bake

WL

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fingerprint ink

1. It works very well.

2. You can reverse print with it
(stick a piece of tape down with the sticky side up, lift the pattern & apply to the stuck down piece & then discard the first piece of tape. Pull up the stuck down piece of tape & there's the mirror image ready to transfer).

3. Yep, it's messy.... Wear nitrile gloves or not

4.can also be used for ink & bake

WL

what brand do you recommend

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I ordered me a Tube I remember you mentioning you also use it for your background I definitely want to try something different I'm not liking the Rustoleum paint, now i have two uses for it

Saludos,

Carlos

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon,

How rude of me I forgot to say congratulations for making the cover of the engraver magazine

Saludos,

Carlos

Andrew Biggs

For some reason I've never had much luck with the wax method.

So I use speedball printers ink. Like Weldon says, it's messy but it works perfectly. One tube goes a very long way.

Pretty much any artists black tube oil based paint will do it. The trick is for it not to be super fast drying.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for those wishing to try the better inks for transfer, the ink weldon showed-- less commonly available, but good. most "art suppliers" have oil-based grumbacher or windsor &newton paint.. note-- these are oil based, not the fast dry acrylics. one tube will outlast 2 or 3 engravers, with some left over for the great grand kids.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have been using the oil base BLOCK PRINTING in from speedball. i used to use printing ink that they used to use for the old offset presses. The ink had a stickiness to it that made it work great.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Marty

Just checked the label on my tube and it is indeed the block printing ink from Speedball.

John B sent me a tube years ago and I still have 3/4 of it left. I think it will outlast me by the looks of it :)

Cheers
Andrew

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Many inks will do a direct transfer however, very few will let you reverse print... The fingerprint ink I posted will & that's a real time saver!

WL

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon
I found that the old fingerprint ink is a whole lot tackier than the newer ink. How tacky is yours? Perhaps i have just been using the wrong brands. A good ink for reverse printing is hard to get

Andrew Biggs

Hi Weldon

Yip, the Speedball block printing ink does the reverse prints just fine. I use it all the time for that.

Next time I'm in the USA I will get some of the fingerprint ink you have shown.

Cheers
Andrew

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
MTC
Tip I picked up from Daniel Houwer, for SAMs wax a very light coat kind of dab on to help eliminate glare of bright metal

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Talc powder is "now" known to cause cancer.

Johnson & johnson is on the chopping block for causing an number of different female specific cancers in the reproductive organs.

michael

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty: it's somewhat tacky (more than you are). More so the longer it sits out.

Andrew: that's good info on the speedball ink, thanks!

Brian: well.... That stinks! I was not aware of that, thank you for letting me know. I tried cornstarch & a bunch of other stuff last year but couldn't find anything that I thought would replace or work as good as talc. Bought mine at a beauty supply place.....probably not the only thing there that causes cancer!!

Latest posts

Sponsors