Help, please: Transferring Vector to black object

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
I have a customer wanting an vector image put on black anodized aluminum and I am hoping to have someone give me a good idea of maybe a compound I could use without taking color off or some trick to help me make the transfer happen. Thanks for the space. :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
simple to do wioth a laser. can you not simply cut thru the annodized dye layer? more info on the object would help direct you to a useful outcome.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Years ago, I bought an assortment of 5x8 carbon papers at one of the big hobby stores. It contained black, red, yellow, and white papers. I've used them successfully on wood transferring some delicate carving designs. I have no doubt they will work for your application. I've long since forgotten the manufacturer.

LahtiM39

You can paint the area to be engraved with a silver Sharpie marker and the art will transfer or you can use Tom White's white transfer solution. A note of caution using these on certain painted surfaces. Sometimes the paint will come off with the excess solution when you clean it off.

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
is this the end work ? or will it be engraved by hand? what did you use to achieve this ? it looks great.
Hello monk! This is after engraving, I was sent something different than agreed upon by customer so I played it safe. What I ended up doing was the transfer straight to surface and letting it dry until the next day. Using the ring light from the scope I constantly rotated the vice to see the best I could. What I couldn’t see I just freehanded and I’m very happy with the outcome. If I could go back I would use a regular 116 instead of my 1/16” miniature 116 to add some depth to the engraving because it looks almost drawn on.