transition screw up

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
Dear brother(Roger) should have read your post better. Mine as you can see is to small, not elongated enough, and i wasn't keeping an eye on my bevels. It should have been easier to do and quicker to cut, it took almost an hour to draw and cut. the last picture is with a very light background a little like sand blast don,t think it made a lot of differance, maybe if the whole area was rough it would make the cuts stand out better. Did all the cutting with my Ngraver, I think the piece was a little small for that.
I should have put my eye closer to your stuff last time I was over.
P.S. It's hard to get a quick photo of shinny cuts
Carl Bleile
Cincinnati,Ohio

Attachments

• ang cuts 001.jpg
    ang cuts 001.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 251
  • ang cuts 005.jpg
    ang cuts 005.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 203
  • ang cuts 008.jpg
    ang cuts 008.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 269

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pretty intricate stuff Carl, for this style. You have to get use to the idea that larger is better, and your cuts will smooth out. The flat is difficult to do intricate things with, particularly tiny turns and small radiuses. Think large at first, then you can get smaller with practice using the flat graver..........Bright cutters jump right on this. Firearms engravers struggle with the mass of the cuts.

You are hogging metal, my friend. I had difficulty getting this over to the students in my class who were used to doing the fine line stuff, but Dianne got them going when we switched class rooms. It was a fun class and everyone got it by the end of the week. I think we made a good team.

By the way, I think that I mentioned that I use the magnum hand piece and bottom it out at times. If you cut the number of strokes down a little, you might get a little more power for the lighter hand pieces, but you will sacrifice the mass of the cut.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I kind of like it Carl!

It wound up kind of 'snakey' - but that goes well with the little fellow on the right.

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,
I cut the guy on the right to keep an eye on my practice plate, really I made some new tools and needed to try them out on something simple.

Latest posts

Sponsors