I tried an experiment today with translucent powdercoating over ink rubbed engraving on mild steel.
I think this finishing opens up a lot of different options rather than just blueing or greying! I’m not sure how this will work with inlay but I’m planning to test it out.
Please let me know what you think!

Attachments

• FDA4C838-1FF4-453A-A6AE-035C1C592856.jpeg
    FDA4C838-1FF4-453A-A6AE-035C1C592856.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 1574C826-AB52-4FCA-93C7-13F43A165A6F.jpeg
    1574C826-AB52-4FCA-93C7-13F43A165A6F.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 126

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hello!
I think it looks nice and surely will protect the engraving but also it makes the engraving looks flat.

When I read your post I remembered that I have a little enameled sterling silver box that I bought in an auction some years ago. It was not so expensive because it has a crack but I payed some money for it anyway! :)
If I dated it correctly from the hallmarks, it is sterling silver, made in Birmingham in 1925.

The lid of the box has a beautiful guilloche that was enameled later. As you can see, this procedure makes the engraving looks flat too but still beautiful, also adding some color to the piece.

I do not know much about enameling procedures and materials but I can tell you that this one is vitreous instead of a varnish or plastic so, although it may cracks, is very resistant to abrasions.

Attachments

• Silver_Box_2.jpg
    Silver_Box_2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Siver_Box_1.jpg
    Siver_Box_1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 67
Hello!
I think it looks nice and surely will protect the engraving but also it makes the engraving looks flat.

When I read your post I remembered that I have a little enameled sterling silver box that I bought in an auction some years ago. It was not so expensive because it has a crack but I payed some money for it anyway! :)
If I dated it correctly from the hallmarks, it is sterling silver, made in Birmingham in 1925.

The lid of the box has a beautiful guilloche that was enameled later. As you can see, this procedure makes the engraving looks flat too but still beautiful, also adding some color to the piece.

I do not know much about enameling procedures and materials but I can tell you that this one is vitreous instead of a varnish or plastic so, although it may cracks, is very resistant to abrasions.
I agree, when the substrate is not white there is not as much depth to the engraving

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this is a smackin dandy idea you have. i surely hope you xperiment with the concept and share your findings. tyvm for posting this.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this is a smackin dandy idea you have here. i surely hope your xperiments bring success. seems to me a lot of folks could benefit from such a technique when perfected. tyvm for sharing this

this is a smackin dandy idea you have here. i surely hope your xperiments bring success. seems to me a lot of folks could benefit from such a technique when perfected. tyvm for sharing this
Thanks! I wanted to try it because I love working with mild steel but hate having to worry about rust, and having color is a pretty cool touch.
I’m planning to experiment with more translucent powders with different metal flakes and stuff

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I tried an experiment today with translucent powdercoating over ink rubbed engraving on mild steel.
I think this finishing opens up a lot of different options rather than just blueing or greying! I’m not sure how this will work with inlay but I’m planning to test it out.
Please let me know what you think!
Interesting experiment

Sponsors