Trouble with background removing.

Kim L.

Hello... super newbie here. Thanks for all the great info. I've been watching Sam Alfano's video on scrollwork and trying to follow along and removing the background on a practice piece. Sorry the line work is so awful. But my problem is that in attempting the remove the background areas I end up with a bunch of furrowed lines rather than a smooth erasure of the area. I'm using a square graver. Can anyone help with tips on what I'm doing wrong? Thank you furrows.jpg

Kim L.

Yes I have a microscope but I'm having trouble keeping the area I'm working on centered under the viewing area. Yes definately slow down. Thank you.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cutting as you did is a start. then, take a flat and start wriggling to level out. this may take a bit of time, but will work. i think this would be a bit better since you're perhaps not up to speed cutting anyway. as a nube, do not try to get too fancy at first. concentrate on drawing a simple spiral, making it as perfect as possible. baby steps, walk, then run. good luck

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Kim,What square graver are you using?I use a square 90 degree and cross hatch out the background,then stipple also need to work on your scrolls. J.J.

papart1

Hay it's a start.........I know what your going through, I reflect upon it everyday, I'm adjusting the ratio of design to cut depth now. pap

Kim L.

Kim,What square graver are you using?I use a square 90 degree and cross hatch out the background,then stipple also need to work on your scrolls. J.J.
Hi... using a square 90 also. I think part of my trouble with scrolls is that under the microscope the scroll moves out of the viewing area before I can finish it, so I end up having to stop and start it a lot rather than one sweeping cut. Don't know what to do about that. Thank you

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
One of the things we all have to learn is that background, whether removed or not, is very important to the quality of the engraving...and takes a lot of time. A little less background and a bit more scroll helps.

Have you tried an Optivisor? I use the #10 lens and see just fine while maintaining freedom of movement.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Turntable will help you to be able to easily keep your piece in view under microscope. Just disable rotation on your engravers ball.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When cutting scrolls you need to make some sort of a centering pointer or index so you can place your work on center of rotation.
Always keep your work area on center of rotation and focused.

monk

Staff member
sam w is spot on. one must arrange everything so as to be working in comfort. neck, back, and shoulder pain will surely make a fun session far less than fun.

Sponsors