Trying to Identify an engraver

sooseaq

I have a nickel plated and 1903 embellished Colt SAA .45 pistol. The name on the top of the barrel is "Graviert Von Waffen-Weiss" which is then followed by "Frankfurt / M." I am attaching several pictures of the scroll work as well as a picture of the ivory grips. Do you have any information on this engraver and would you know if he also engraved the grips? Thank you in advance. Colt 1.jpg Colt 2.jpg Colt 3.jpg Colt 4.jpg Colt 5.jpg Colt 6.jpg Colt 7.jpg Colt 8.jpg Side 1.jpg Side 2.jpg

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your gun was engraved in Germany in the city of Frankfurt on the Main (river). There is also another Frankfurt on the Oder River.

"Graviert Von Waffen-Weiss" Indicates engraved by the Weiss gun shop. The engraver may or may not have been named Weiss. The marking may indicate that the engraving was contracted by the Weiss gun shop or the engraver may have been one of the Weiss family.

Weiss is a fairly common Germanic name (meaning white). There are two engravers that I know of named Weiss, Olaf and Ralf. Both worked at the Merkel factory in Suhl, Germany the last I knew.

Your Colt is very nicely engraved in a very Germanic style. The grips were probably carved by the same person who engraved the gun.

Latest posts

Sponsors