Turntable use ... i dont get it :(

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Cadows. I certainly would not want my post to dissuade anyone from joining this slightly crazy group of hand engravers. but am glad that you are taking note of some of what is involved.

the key is to know your limitations and work to improve. If you have not yet started then you (like everyone) will start with flat material. learn How to cut consistent lines without tilting to one side or the other and without diving deep or coming shallow. Then learn how to intentionally tilt the graver to give depth and life to leaves. Once you are ready then buy some copper pipe (Or something similar) and Learn how to do the same on the convex Surface. Then buy some 45 degree copper elbows to learn how to cut on complex concave surfaces. Then try the inside surface of the elbows. You will quickly realize the added complexity of a convex surface is that the material itself interferes with your hand and graver. If you have mastered the inside of a 45 degree elbow then add a 2 inch pipe to one end and try it again. And don’t expect to do what i outlined overnight. I expect the typical engraver would take years and in most cases 10 plus years of experience before they would consider engraving the piece that Roger showed.

Dan

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Oops, just read my own post. The outside of the 45 degree copper elbow is the complex convex surface. The inside would be the concave. Or would the inside be convex/concave/complex since it curves in and around at the same time?///. Maybe we can just call it difficult...

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Roger. Obviously a turntable with it’s associate vise will not solve the problems presented in engraving the bottom of the revolver frame. I hope that I didn’t imply that it would.

For discussion though I think that an optivisor may work better than a scope given the significant changes in depth of field. For my cheap scope I don’t think even one scroll backbone would be in focus from top to bottom. For clamping, in addition to removing the cylinder I would also remove the barrel, cylinder pin, and grips (I assume when you said the grips were integral you meant the grip frame). When I finished stripping to the frame I would use GRS Thermo loc to work around the protruding ears and allow the frame to be clamped trigger guard up.

BUT then, and this is the most important point,,, I would hire an engraver far better than me to do the actual engraving. Cutting on that multidimensional plane would be insanely difficult. You did a fantastic job!

Dan
Dan,

I want to make it known that the picture of the bottom of the revolver is not my work. It is the work of the late J. Ron French of Texas. That was the first image I could lay my hands on that illustrated my point.

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Understood. You didn’t imply that it was your work but I didn’t want to assume that it wasn’t either.
It is always difficult to tell from a photo but I think it was probably a very difficult piece to engrave and Mr French did a very good job.

Sponsors