U.S. earthquake

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My sister said she felt it in Raleigh-Durham and my cousin felt it near Detroit.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm about 45 miles from Washington DC and we felt it. It shook our store for about 20-30 seconds. Nothing fell over or off the walls but everything was vibrating.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
I was at my day job in New York City at a Large bridge
and the cabinets in my shop were banging and the lights were rocking back and forth. went outside and the street light poles were shaking up and down. Pretty cool.
Then, I had to climb all over the bridge for 4 hours. Not so cool.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I went to the snack bar at work to get a drink. All the drinks in the refrigerators were shaking and the room shook. Everyone evacuated the buildings and to be safe they sent us home, allowing us to go back in the building just to get a few essential things.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I thought it was just another feed truck bouncing by the front of the house, on the highway.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sittin on my front porch, ( near pittsburgh, pa), i thought my body tremor was gettin worse--till i saw the water shake in my cats' dish. :eek:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I thought it was just another feed truck bouncing by the front of the house, on the highway.

i probably just subconsciously ignored it as another truck or plane, but my wife felt it up in Asheville.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Felt it north of Pittsburgh. I thought I was getting dizzy, but seen that the big mirrors in the store were moving. Had Fox on the computer and 2 minutes later they announced the earthquake.They where saying that a 7 mag would be 1000 times greater than yesterdays 6 or 5.8.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
About 30 seconds before it hit my dog went to my daughter to get her attention. When she ignored him he laid on the floor on his stomach and put his paws over his head like he was hiding. He then proceeded to wail in a way she had never heard. Obviously we will take any future wailing with more urgency. Now I wonder what he will do as the hurricane approaches..... :eek:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I was taking a nap in my easy chair when the whole house shuck,I jump up and ran out to the street because there were men work on the road and though they may have hit a gas line.There was another tremor in central Virginia last night. J.J.

Last edited:

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
funny it would have been just a tickle here in Ca. :biggrin:
The ground surface on the east coast is geologically older and denser than the ground surface on the west coast, so the waves travel farther and stronger. Therefore a 6.0 on the east coast can be more significant than a 6.0 on the west coast.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Tira: That's amazing about your dog. I've heard of such things but never knew anyone who had first-hand experience with an animal's sensitivity to an earthquake.

Latest posts

Sponsors