UK newbie

Wishbone1

Good morning I have been a member since 2016 and have lurked ever since.i am trying to see how many of you are from the UK that are time served engravers and your preference to spring gravers or other types thanks

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the madhouse. here's hoping you find this forum helpful.

Wishbone1

Sorry I mean pneumatic with a spring to dampen the piston with a suck blow compressor as opposed to a piston with no spring and a standard compressor

monk

Staff member
two ways. grs, pricey but a very good bang for yer buck. for under 50 bucks u can make yer own. not cool to look at, but they do work. dial shawn hughes on the google bar.

Wishbone1

Excuse my ignorance but do professional/skilled engravers find a difference between the two ?

monk

Staff member
Excuse my ignorance but do professional/skilled engravers find a difference between the two ?
absolutely they do. the grs tools are much more adjustable in the stroke and power settings. if you have the funds, by all means the grs tools are far better and much more convenient to use no matter your skill level. later on if you decide to leave the art, the resale value is something to consider. one other grs feature-- the stuff they sell lasts.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I was just in the UK at an engraving symposium where folks were discussing just this over examples of the equipment. It depends on what you're using it for and personal taste. Even between models from the same maker. For example I prefer Lindsay's Classic foot control over the Palm control,. Others are exactly the opposite. I don't think that at the beginning level there's much difference. Using a Lindsay as a beginner I find makes basic learning and practice a lot easier but it can induce weaknesses as well. For example I find I need to be more deliberate about sharpening as power can overcome edge. Similarly I am finding it beneficial to switch to developing push tool sensitivity for a while. Some things are best not dine with power tools. Just my fellow beginner perspective.

Wishbone1

I've been developing a graver which is spring and piston actuated.based on knowledge already out there. Not wanting to tread on anyones toes and looking for a UK engraver to put it through its paces and give feedback.

Latest posts

Sponsors