Question: Using 02 to power Air Mach

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Since I am on oxygen 24/7 I have often thought about using a bottle of it to run my Air Mach. Has anyone done this? If so are there problems I should know about.

Any and all information on this is appreciated. Thank You

Jim Sackett :confused:

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
100% oxygen coming in contact with any petrolium product would not be good esp under preasure.

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
i rigged my graver max sc up to a bottle of oxygen for a show, the bottle only lasted about 8 hrs. I used a big bottle too. Not a cost effective way to go. as far as combustion no problem grs system ; is way to vented to cause combustion.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have never heard of anyone using a compressed air tank for powering the GraverMach, Jim. I think its air consumption might be too great.

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
I had thought of trying that same thing but was a little leery of the combustion issue, the way my luck runs I decided against it

samf

Jim, don't do it. It's not worth the risk. Like Maplesm said petroleum products and O2 under pressure is very bad.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My two cents worth:
I spent 25 years in heavy industry (9th largest steel mill in the U.S.) and have seen the damage that occurs when pressurized pure oxygen has been accidentally hooked up to air tools. (The operator did lose his hands in the explosion.)
What you are contemplating is potentially very,very dangerous.

Last edited:

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for the input. I'll take your advice and put the o2 aside.

With the cold weather comming I am moving my engraving into the house so I don't have to heat the shop. I use a Graver Mac with Monorch and 901 hand pieces. I have a Colmen air tank, 125 max preasure. It measures about 17 x 10 inches. Is there a way to hook it up to the Mac? I can't have the compressor noise in the house. Help

Jim

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,
How far is the house from the shop? I know a lot of people just plumb the air to the house. Some even just use air hose. Not perfect but it works.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You might need to get some synthetic compressor oil. My compressor is outside andhas worked around 0 F. I plumbed the air into the house with schedule 80 1/2 inch PVC, but I did that when I built the house so it was it was out of site.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

Using O2 to power a tool is just a very bad idea.

To prone to igniting with a spark and then you have a explosion...:shock:

Just get a CO2 tank like used to propel soda tanks 20lb and put a regulator on it and have at it.

They are cheap to fill, last long and no bang.

Once you put CO2 (or compressed air) through a regulator you CANNOT use it for O2 or it has a high probibility of blowing up (due to the oils).

Please never use O2 to power tools it is a very very bad decision..

AirAmp

Sponsors