Critique Request Using a templit for different sized borders.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Jim, have you tried making them in plexiglass or better PEGT?
They both cut well with a machine or hand graver.
PM me your address if you need a piece of PETG to try.
Best,

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Jim, it's a thin plastic, acrylic I believe, that cuts very well with hand gravers.
It does a good job for making pantograph masters.
What I have is clear sheet 1/16 inch thick with a protector film on both sides.
It’s not much different than the acrylic glazing material that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe’s.
I think it hand cuts just a little better, that’s all.
My offer still goes.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
PlexaGlass?

Hi John

I tried some PlexaGlass I got from hard ware store but the air assist would shadder it. I know Cronite supplies the good stuff, just have to order it!

This is my first penny off the templit with hand engraving. Any idea where to go from here?. It still don't pop enough.

Jim

penny.JPG

penny2.jpg

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,
I can't find PEGT locally so I use polycarbonate. It is available at most lumber/hardware stores. Lexan is the original manufacturer but available by other names as well. It doesn't shatter. I make about 100 or more templates a year with it. I just screw the stuff to a block of wood to make it easier to hold and reduce vibration.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Rex: Do you think you could make a clean, giant cut in that polycarb....like maybe with a 3/8" (or larger) graver?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,
The polycarb doesn't really cut "clean". It's really gummy. It works well to make a grove for a stylus to follow but I'm not sure how it would work for anything else. The reason I use it is because of availability and the fact that it is "unbreakable". The second reason is why it doesn't shatter when cutting but also makes it gummy. Perhaps with a polished graver and some lube it might work. You can get a small piece from the big box lumber stores in 8X10 size to try. I think some of the other material may work better for what you want but this works for me for my templates.
Rex

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
When I had my engraving company in the 80s I would use the same plastic that I made name tags and signs from to make custom templates for customers designs, some engraving supply houses sell them in the right size that would slide right in my New Hermes machine. I don't remember the size now but I could engrave several hundred pieces before I had to make a new template.

Kevin

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I took a tip from Monk and swung by a trophy engraving shop. They were happy to let me pull some bits from their scrap bin of the two layer 'sign' plastic.

I haven't played with it much but I got it because Monk said it worked well for doing templates.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Jim...You have template material right under your nose..white bleach bottles. ..cut out the center of the bottle & you'll have nice flat thin flexible material to make templates..it cuts very easily with an X-Acto knife. Hope this works for you..it works for me. Check on the Tips & Tricks Archives I did a thread on this a while back.

http://jjrobertsengraver.com