Vises

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was just wondering if the positioning vise is worth it when compared to the regular engraving ball. There is one on ebay right now and I was just wondering. Seth

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
I have a GRS positioning vise. It is a very good and well designed product and
it works well. The only complaint is that its range is somewhat limited. It is
pretty good for 2 inch practice plates, but beyond that you are out of range.

I would recommend the GRS turntable and the GRS Low Profile Vise with the teflon pad.

That said, the positioning vise is a very good choice for someone new to engraving
who will be spending a lot of time working on practice plates.

Les Schowe

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Les,

I also have both. I am not real impressed with the positioning vise. The range is very limited, it is very bulky, and mine slips if I don't keep it vertical.

I really like the GRS Low profile vise though. I use that on a turntable I made myself and it is a great set up.

Ray

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Ray,
I had the same problem with slippage (the ball turning when you try to
adjust the position, which completely messes up the centering calibration). The
solution, which was given to me by Sam, is to turn the tire (that the ball sits in) over.
This greatly increases friction on the ball and reduces the slippage problem.

Les Schowe

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
on mine its the locking system that adjust the center that slips not the base in the ring.

Ray

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks everyone, this solves that question. One just went on ebay for 655$ so thank goodness I didn't want it. Seth

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Personally I think a lot of it depends on which items you intend to engrave. The low profile/turntable option is great if you are working on small items, knife bolsters, etc., and anything which is flat and doesn't involve tipping the vice. This is because the the focus remains fixed on the same plane. In fact if this is the type of stuff you intend engraving then I'd suggest going this route.

However, as a gun engraver I would suggest to anyone intending to engrave odd shaped objects such as guns to consider the positioning vise. When the vise is tipped it will often go out of focus so having the ability to slide it a fraction is a mega bonus as it avoids having to refocus the scope or adjust the vise height. I use a positioning vise and, having tried it, would never consider the low profile/turntable option for my type of work. It really is a case of the right tool for the right job or what suits the individual best.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Marcus makes a good point in that small objects are fine in the Positioning Vise, but its limited travel makes the Low Profile w/turntable a better choice for my work.

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
i agree with both Marcus and Sam, if your using a scope the work area is small and doesnt need a lot movement. i now mount my work on someyhing so it's easy to relocate it in the vice jaws to pick up a new center. i'm going to lighten the top half of my vice to get rid of the dead weight that wants to pull off center this is most noticable with the vice tilted. The turn table works fine i just like to have my left hand closed to the work with a grip i'm used to.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sorry...I misread Marcus' post. I'm not doing any guns at present, but find that the low-profile vise w/turntable is great for my work, which is small objects from jewelry to knives, and occasionally larger items. I find that the positiong vise - with its limited travel - ok for small things but not so much for larger items. I think Chris DeCamillis uses a positioning vise for guns, so obviously an engraver can adapt to different vises. I like the freedom and speed of the turntable, though.