Question: Wacom Bamboo Tablets

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
Has or do any of you use this product for drawing programs. Do you like it or hate or somwhere inbetween. I dont uasually go with the cheapest models when buying equipment but what I want is pretty far out of reach right now. So im willing to settle for less. Posibly.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Johnny, I have it and it does its work very well. The pen is nice and board very sensitive. Build quality is good too. For the little drawing I do (engraving designs) it is good enough. Unfortunately I can't compare it to more expensive tables, only one cheaper Genius I had and there really isn't much to compare. Bamboo is much better. I can recommend it, especially if budget is limited. It does take time to get used to, because you don't watch where you're drawing. But if you can engrave, you'll get over it, no problems.

If budget were unlimited, I'd buy Cintiq in a heartbeat :). Actually I did consider Cintiq in the first place, but I just don't draw that much that it would make sense.

If you're going to buy one, be sure to choose a model which matches your monitor ratio, eg. if you use wide monitor, buy wide tablet too. So it will match the movements 1:1.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Johnny

With these things it all depends on exactly what you are going to do with them, and how much you will use it.......and what software you'll be primarily using it with. The answers to those questions dictate what level of money you should hand over.

I use a Wacon Intuos 3 pad for some things and it's great. I've had mine for 4 to 5 years now. They excel in some areas and you can get better accuracy than with a mouse, especially in programs like Photoshop. They are a very handy tool to have and I wouldn't be without mine.

But be warned..............if you want to use the tablets to draw with ( like a pencil and paper) then be prepared for a long learning curve. It takes a lot of getting used to drawing on a blank pad and watching the lines appear on the screen. As Vilts said, it's simple enough............ but it just takes some time getting used to it.

Cheers
Andrew

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
I think I will be able to handle looking at the screen while drawing. I was concerned it wouldnt be userfriendly or smooth line n such. Appreciate the tip about ratio. Hadnt considered that. I use a wide screen monitor. I will be using it with PhotoShop and Corel Draw. I have Rhino 3-D and Matrix software but I dont know that its possible to use the tablet with them.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The Intuos has 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity and the Bamboo has 1056. So the Intuos is twice as sensitive to pen pressure. Whether or not this will matter to you won't be known until you try both of them and decide for yourself. I can tell you that I've been using tablets since they had something like 256 levels of sensitivity and they performed well. Of course what's being made today is lightyears better. Personally, I'd go with the Intuos, but the Bamboo is very attractively priced and I've never heard any complaints. Keep us posted.

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
Im thinking about going with one of the cheapest on the market, Wacom Bamboo pen n touch. Because what I really want is the most expensive on the market, Cintiq, or something comparible. Im suprised at the good reviews im reading for the cheap models. With ebay I can always upgrade along the way if necessary. I will let you know what I think of it.