Wacom pad input

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
I was thinking of getting a wacom pad and was curious to see how many people use them and do they find them useful for design work in engraving? or does nothing beat a good old pencil and paper.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a wacom pad and I still use a pencil and paper.

I find it very hard to draw with a wacom.

my 2 cents

Pad

I Tried The Wacom Pad And Could Not Seem To Get The Hang Of It. I Usually Have Better Luck Drawing With A Pencil And Pad. I Also Like To Use Graph Paper.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I as well have a wacom and although it does have it's uses. Me drawing with it is not one of them, least wise artwork I could engrave. It can do line manipulation or shape changes. All designs I engrave end up being drawn by hand with pen or pencil. If you wish to do sign art or print layout the tablet is great. Just my findings. Maybe if you have a good computer program. Possibly the tablet will help.

Andrew Biggs

Wacom tablets are a wonderful thing. I use mine all the time for graphics applications in Photoshop instead of a mouse as you have much finer control of the cursor.

BUT....................

They aren't very good to make your initial drawings. Pencil and paper are by far the best way to do that.

Cheers
Andrew

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I have a friend who is a Flash animator. Wacom works great for cartoons.
It's quite intuitive for that sort of thing. From what I've seen of him using it,
we are better off using Corel graphic Suite or Adobe Illustrator.

Jim

Last edited:

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, do you find it helpful for tweaking the original drawing that you have scanned in or do you mostly use it for sign writing?

Marc Williams

Mike,
funny you should mention this.. I just bought a Wacom Intuos 3 today... I do my jewelry design work in CAD so I bought it for that. BUT I have been messing with it and I find it rather easy to draw with and easy to use overall.. I am testing weather I like it or not, eventually I am going to buy the Cintiq from Wacom.. As I use it I will let you know how I like it...

Marc
www.marccojewelers.com

Andrew Biggs

Hi Mike

I very rarley use it for my signwriting as that involves mainly typing, sizing and a bit of cipart. Mainly I use it for photo work on the engraver magazine.

Yes, it can be good for tweaking the original drawings. Scan them in at 300 dpi or more, rub out, add leaves etc. Or it can be used to trace over your designs in another layer in Photoshop/Corel so that you are left with a very fine printer transfer. (you cant trace your designs on the actual tablet like tracing paper) But pencil and paper are by far the easier and fastest way to do your drawings.

You can also trace over your drawings using tracing paper and fine technical pen, scan in black and white and that will give you a very fine line also.

The tablets are very easy to use as there isn't much to them and no special learning curve to go through. It can be a welcome addition to your computer. If you do get one, don't go large, get a smaller one about 8X11 or smaller. They work in a way where the pad is your screen size and the pen acts as the mouse.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I can draw much better and faster with a pencil. The Wacom tablet is great for airbrushing in Photoshop, but see no advantage for making engraving layouts (and I do a lot of illustration work).