watch engraving..

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have to say that when I first saw the photo I thought the image was sculpted with shade lines added. It's really difficult to tell, but I think it's flat, right? You really achieved a 3-dimensional look, and the customer must be thrilled with your work. Thanks for posting this, J.C. / ~Sam

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
Photo

Fery Nice Jc Nothing Wrong With Your Photo,but,as A Biginner I Would Realy Like To See Some Photo's Of Engravings Realy Close Up So I Can Study Them.like Some Bulino And Scrolls And Like What You Have Done.that Way I Would Be Able To See The Full Picture And How You Did It.i Love Watches And Engraving So Thumbs Up From Me.:)

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jacques

If you want to get that close an image you could try buying the resin castings of gun parts at www.fega.com Also Ray Cover sells knife castings at www.rcoverengraving.com

They're as close to the real thing as you will ever get and well worth every cent. As a learning aid they are invaluable and I would highly recommend them to any beginner. Photos are great but only 2 dimensional. Where the castings excell is in the 3rd dimension, depth.

Hope this helps

Andrew Biggs

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice JC
There is no margin for error when engraving on these watches. If you screw one of these up engraving it, you bought it. You can't just go and get another case back. Each case is hand made for that watch.I don't know if most people realize the value of a Reverso. If my memory is correct the 18kt is about $14,000. and a stainless is about $7,000. Thats without engraving. Am I in the ballpark JC? Please enlighten us a little on these watches.
Mike

msar24

Mike,

After reading this thread I looked at JC's website and then curiosity got the best of me and I had to find out more about the watches. I looked at a couple of websites that sell them and you nailed it on the pricing. There are others that cost even more. JC does a wonderful job.

Kevin

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jacques

If you want to get that close an image you could try buying the resin castings of gun parts at www.fega.com Also Ray Cover sells knife castings at www.rcoverengraving.com

They're as close to the real thing as you will ever get and well worth every cent. As a learning aid they are invaluable and I would highly recommend them to any beginner. Photos are great but only 2 dimensional. Where the castings excell is in the 3rd dimension, depth.

Hope this helps

Andrew Biggs

THANKS ANDREW
AT THE MOMENT I HAVE TO SAVE MONEY AS A SOUTH AFRICAN THE EXCHANGE RATE IS A KILLER.I HAVE JUST STARTED AND I HAVE A SCOPE(STEMI DV4 FROM ZEIS) ENGRAVERS VICE AND A HOME MADE GRAVER.TOP OF MY LIST IS A AIRGRAVER THEN CASTINGS AND DVD'S.I HAVE SENT MY LETTER TO SANTA SO HOPEFULLY I HAVE BEEN GOOD THIS YEAR.

Sam

Staff member
Jacques: If you know knifemaker Des Horn in South Africa, he might be able to point you to other engravers in the area if you're interested in meeting some. I'm not sure how many there are. Des and his wife Linda and their friends Andre and Marike (sp?) who are also knifemakers were students of mine in '05 and very nice people. / ~Sam

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jacques if I may suggest one thing, a powerhone with some wheels if you don't have one. You will get your gravers so sharp and accurate you'll be able to do bulino without assist. Assist is nicer though. I had mine for, I don't know it has to be going on 20 years. It'll probably get sent to the GRS antique museum when I get a new one:)

Sam's sharpening video is quit an asset also.
Mike

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
No Sam I Dont Know Des Horn,do You Have A Email For Me? I Dont Think There Will Be Someone Close,i Live In A Fery Rural Area In The Midle Of Nothing,it Is A Nice Place.mike I Have A Home Made One With A Dual Angle(home Made To) No Fancy Caramic Discs But A Old Cd's With 3m Microfilm Stuck On,i Was Never Able To Sharpen Well Without One.i Also Have A Turntable Under The Vise.the Vice Was Also Made For Me.all My Tools Are Home Made ,all But The Scope.

Sam

Staff member
No Sam I Dont Know Des Horn,do You Have A Email For Me? I Dont Think There Will Be Someone Close,i Live In A Fery Rural Area In The Midle Of Nothing,it Is A Nice Place.mike I Have A Home Made One With A Dual Angle(home Made To) No Fancy Caramic Discs But A Old Cd's With 3m Microfilm Stuck On,i Was Never Able To Sharpen Well Without One.i Also Have A Turntable Under The Vise.the Vice Was Also Made For Me.all My Tools Are Home Made ,all But The Scope.

Jacques: I don't have contact info for Des Horn, but I believe you can find him with a google search.

If you private message me your address I'll mail you some gravers if you'd like to have them. Home made gravers can be ok, but I'll be happy to send you some of the ones I use. / ~Sam

Pafco

Quick note: THANKS for the time on the Phone today (Sunday) - where is the thread on the scope - PAFCO (Rick Foster)

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi J.C.
Great job on the watch. I was wondering? Do I detect the presence of
another tooley (nick name for tool & die makers)?
The depth measurement is pretty exact. Not to many outside the trade
could do it accurately. Seeing your work, I'm sure your right.

Jim