Question: western style bright cut

doug

Im trying to learn western style bright cut engraving. Ive seen plenty of examples on various items but I am having a hard time putting all the cuts together that form the leaves and flowers.So I was thinking about buying Jerrimia Watts video on the subject its the only video Ive found that teaches western style.Has anybody seen this video and is it worth 90$.

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Doug,

Yes I have the video, overall I would say it is a good video. Is it worth $90, I'm not sure. I think I would buy Diane Scalese's FEGA video and try it first. I have not seen it but I took her class at GRS and she is a very good teacher. It is only $33 from FEGA.

Ken

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Are you kidding? Buy them all, don't hold back. Watch them all, many times over. You could wade around in the mud for for a year to get to the same spot as you would have in a week after watching the dvd. Best $ you can spend, and if you find your not cut out for bright cut, put them on ebay. Or even on the buy/sell here. Seth

doug

Thanks Ken you told me what I wanted to know just wanted to hear from someone whos seen it.Ihave heard of the FEGA video and do plan on buying it.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
If you really want to learn to do Western Bright cut engraving than take Diane's class at GRS in Emporia. The video's are great for an introduction or as a refresher but they are not a substitute for the class.

Les Schowe

doug

Seth believe me if I could aford it I would have already owned them all.In time I probally will.That was good advice though.

doug

I hope to take a class at some point.I just started engraving a few months ago and feel I should get a little more comfortable with it before I can exspect someone to try teaching me.Dont want too look like a lost cause when I get there.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doug a the one thing to remember is if you are cutting toward the left start your cut with the right corner of your flat graver the next cut will start with the left corner and then a light cap or edge cut with the right.

Attachments

• bright cut order of cuts copy.jpg
    bright cut order of cuts copy.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
I have Jeramihas Videos and Dianes dvd they are both good. As far as seeing the cuts as they are made i think Dianes vid is better. She uses a microscope so its a little easier to tell whats going on...It was for me anyway. But i wouldent trade my Jeramiha Watt tapes either, They taught me alot.
Steve

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doug, my suggestion would be to join FEGA. You get "The Engraver" as a member; that alone is worth the price of admission. Diane wrote an excellent article for "The Engraver" which is an excellent intro to 'western bright cutting'.
As a member you'll be able to download that article; it's an excellent presentation. The FEGA video that she did is also very good. Check out the written article first.
Kevin P.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Doug,
When I took my first class at GRS, the basic class, I had zero experience in engraving. A year later I took Diane's class. That gave me a year to practice before I started the Bright Cut which I believe requires some experience on graver control. If I had it to do all over again I would do the same thing. Life is to short, especially when you are old enough to be retired, to flounder around. Believe me, the instructors will take you from zero to where you feel pretty good about your ability in one week. You will not be the only one with little or no experience.

Les Schowe

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Doug,
Both Diane's and Jeremiah's videos are really good. And don't forget about Ron Smith's books on scrolls. Most any one can learn to run the tools, it's the ones who learn how to draw nice layouts who get ahead. Greg Pauline did some great bright cut tutorials here and on the Bits and Spurs Forum:
bitsandspurs.freeforums.org
If you are serious about doing this and getting paid for your work one day, take a class. It will speed the learning process up a whole bunch and help get you to a point where you can start getting paid for your work. In other words a good class will pay for itself many times over. Good luck.

Stewart

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I was taking my Basic class at GRS Diane was teaching her class in the other room. One of her students was telling me that he wished he'd waited before taking it rather than going in with zero engraving experience. He was getting a lot out of it, but he could see how much more he'd of gotten out of it if he'd taken a regular Basic class first.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I learned to brightcut from Jermiah's dvds, and its sure a good bang for your dollar if you can't go to a GRS course. I can't give all the credit to Jermiah, as my work is highly influenced by this website, Dianne Scalese, and even Jerry Valdez, but mostly those dvds. They got me going. Mr Watt even gets into some scroll design, sharpening, tool use, and about everything else involved with brightcut. I know you can't go wrong with a GRS course, but thats alot of time to be away, and $.

Last edited:

doug

Thanks Mike for that advice. Theres more cuts involved than I thought there was,its no wonder I could not get it to look right.Im gonna go try it now.

doug

Thanks to every body for your help.Your tips and advice has helped me more than you can imagine.Im gonna join FEGA buy them videos and hopfully Ill get to one of them schools soon.Thanks again for sterring me in the right direction.

diane b

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dear doug,
One more note of encouragement to take Diane's class at GRS. I took it about 2 months ago. Probably half the class had never engraved before, so if the reason you are not wanting to take a class is because you're worried you will be behind everyone - don't worry. The Fundamentals of Wester Bright Cut is designed for those who have never engraved before. It was a wonderful class - full of irreverant cowboys. We all had a blast and learned so much. This class is being offered again in October. If you haven't already, check out the GRS website. The class was worth every penny. Good luck.
diane b

Latest posts

Sponsors