What’s on your bench?

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
Currently working on figuring out how to resize the drawing from Procreate in Affinity (just got it yesterday, still a lot to learn) so I can accurately print and transfer to the knife, which I finished a couple of weeks ago. Scales are 416 stainless. It'll be the first knife of my own making that I'll have engraved with anything other than borders, so I'm pretty excited about it.
I´m sure you have figured out by now? If not what I usually do.. (actually I have been using Affinity Photo more and more lately for my drawings, but anyway) In Procreate go to your layers and turn off the background layer at the bottom and you see the background turns gray. Then go to your "Wrench" menu and Share your artwork as .PNG. As a PNG you export it without background. You can then either save it in your photo library, in your files or share it directly to Affinity Designer or Photo. I prefer to save it as a file in my iCoud or photo library. If so, open Affinity, create a printing size document, go to the menu and click "place".. that means you will import your PNG file from either photo library or iCloud.. wherever you have stored it.. After clicking "Place" and choosing the PNG file, start drawing a square on your Affinity document and you will see you are placing your PNG file. Then in Affinity you can make guides with the exact size you want and resize your imported PNG. :) Maybe sounds complicated, but it´s not as bad as it might sound.. :)

The good thing using a PNG is that if your transfer is a little weak.. you can duplicate the PNG layer and it will be stronger (but also slightly more think). Remember to flip your image horizontally and print in high quality for better transfer. Hope that helps some..

Travis Fry

I´m sure you have figured out by now? If not what I usually do.. (actually I have been using Affinity Photo more and more lately for my drawings, but anyway) In Procreate go to your layers and turn off the background layer at the bottom and you see the background turns gray. Then go to your "Wrench" menu and Share your artwork as .PNG. As a PNG you export it without background. You can then either save it in your photo library, in your files or share it directly to Affinity Designer or Photo. I prefer to save it as a file in my iCoud or photo library. If so, open Affinity, create a printing size document, go to the menu and click "place".. that means you will import your PNG file from either photo library or iCloud.. wherever you have stored it.. After clicking "Place" and choosing the PNG file, start drawing a square on your Affinity document and you will see you are placing your PNG file. Then in Affinity you can make guides with the exact size you want and resize your imported PNG. :) Maybe sounds complicated, but it´s not as bad as it might sound.. :)

The good thing using a PNG is that if your transfer is a little weak.. you can duplicate the PNG layer and it will be stronger (but also slightly more think). Remember to flip your image horizontally and print in high quality for better transfer. Hope that helps some..
As it happens I haven't figured this out, but that's mostly because I haven't tried very hard yet. I played with it a little (converted and imported the .png), got stumped with the resize, and went back to making knives for a show in late September. The knife I drew this for may get back-burnered until after that, but I'll get there. Also, our mutual friend Tyler Poor just sent me a video he made about how to do this, so between the two of you I think I'll get it sorted once I come back to it. Thanks for the detailed instruction. I appreciate it.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Finished the 1911 antlered game slide. A 1911 doesn't have much room for an elk but I think it worked.

Attachments

• 1911 ELK.jpeg
    1911 ELK.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 27