What can I cut over on my rifle reciever ?

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I'm working on my first gun engraving. It's my little 10-22 I've had for some 40 years. On the left side, I'm wondering what I have to leave. The serial number, RUGER brand, caliber and model and Ruger insignia along with the trademarks. I would like to know what options I have when I layout the design. Thanks in advance, Mark

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mark,Make be sure you put the gun back in the stock and scribe a line a both sides of the receiver,reason you don't want any part of your design under the stock line. J.J.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
MTC do t do it, the 10-22 has a aluminum receiver Is not engraving friendly. Find a blue steel something
Dave I appreciate the advice but I'm already done with the top of the receiver and the right side. I'm ready to layout the left but I'd like the option to cut out some of the lettering and I don't want to get into trouble. I've heard aluminum described as " gummy " and that's what I found. It's easy to cut but easy to overcut and bang up and it doesn't make a nice cut like steel.
put the gun back in the stock and scribe a line a both sides of the receiver,
J J. , I started on the right side and almost messed up just like you warned. Fortunately, I had a little voice in my head warn me to do just that. So it worked out well.
Thank you to both of you for the advise.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
If I remember correctly you can’t alter a serial number, you need to give your local BATF agent a call about just what you can and can’t do to the identifiers of a weapon. You will be able to find their phone number I the government portion of your local phone book. And David is correct about the aluminum receiver on your Ruger. It was the first gun I ever bought to.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
If I remember correctly you can’t alter a serial number, you need to give your local BATF agent a call about just what you can and can’t do to the identifiers of a weapon. You will be able to find their phone number I the government portion of your local phone book. And David is correct about the aluminum receiver on your Ruger. It was the first gun I ever bought to.
GC. , I just checked the BATF website. Looks like I need a serial number, brand, caliber and model. Thanks for the tip, Mark

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've used kerosene as a lubricant sometimes and it does okay, just really smelly. Tap-Majic works also.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
1 part hydraulic fluid/2 parts red tranny fluid qorks good for me, also works excellent for despat protection on weldments