What is the best head strap magnifier

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam W., I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but may I ask why you are sitting on such a high stool that you need a foot rest? Why not lower the stool, put your left foot and the foot petal on the floor and lower the vice to the bench top? You might need to build-up some of your extra wood under the vice to make it more comfortable, but not as much as you are now using. Just curious.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Mark, the stool is one that was used many years ago working at a light table and it is about as low as it goes without cutting the legs. I used what was available at the time to [put my bench together (read cheap or free) and it all worked so well I never dared to change it.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well Mike, you could do well for your employees, just don't spread too much coal around! There are several engravers that could be Santa, right, Mark Thomas?

BLW

I have used optivisor 5 and 10 for many years and are great magnifiers. A few years ago I got a megaview pro which is now the go to magnifier x2 lens and switch with the x10 lens when need closer. The megaview is much clearer and no frame around the lens which allows more light around and better peripheral vision for searching for and switching tools
Brendan

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have used the same # 10 and #5 Optivisors since 1976. Just the same I would like to know how to get the kind that Martin Strolz and Hendrik Fruehof use.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
My money says the batteries are a throwback to Sam's Alaskan days.
My buddy, AL Scott, an ex Alaskan, ran his entire house and shop, Off Grid.
Even his Bridgeport had a DC motor.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Nothing so interesting...just brought in for the winter and not yet used again.

PS...my Alaska days produced a syndrome know as the Alaska Syndrome...you never throw things away because you might have a use for them in the future and it cost too much to have another one shipped up to Alaska. Sounds so much better than pack rat!

Last edited:

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Do you guys also use the optivisor to cut small lettering? I notice my cut on small lettering are terrible under higher magnification using an optivisor because sometimes I can barely see the line. So, I'm going to get a microscope & learn how to use it. Hopefully, my cut will be much better using the microscope.