Help, please: what is the step of using a compresoor and Gravermax

connor

hi everyone, i am a beginner and bought a oilless silent air compressor (pics below)and a Gravermax, now i have some problem ,i dont know how to connect them and how to start and stop them step by step.the manul of Gravermax say
"CONNECT THROTTLE AND HANDPIECE
SET AIR PRESSURE AND STROKE SPEED
Plug in electrical connection and turn machine “ONâ€￾.
Make sure the handpiece selector knob"
i want to know if i should make sure the compressor is already working, and then start to the Gravermax like the manul said? or others?
how to start the compressor? just plug in electrical connection and switch on the "compressor on/off switch" and then switch the air release valve?
how should i control the release pressure of the compressor into the Gravermax,just turn the knob("3" in the picture) on the AIR FILTER SETTLEMENT BOWL when the compressor is already working?
and also there are some black things like "1"in the picture but no hole to insert a hose like"1", i dont know what they are used for.
so many questions, but wish your help~~~thanks:beerchug:

Attachments

• 1new.jpg
    1new.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 83
  • whole.jpg
    whole.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 66

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sounds like you better get an instruction manual for the air compressor too!
Connect the Gravermax to the compressor. Turn on the compressor and it will run until it reaches the right pressure. Then adjust knob 3 to the correct pressure. The Gravermax manual should say but I think it is about 45 psi.
Then turn the air valve and you should be ready to run the Gravermax.
It looks like the "black things" are 2 different items. One of them looks like and extra muffler and the others are rubber feet for the base.

connor

hi fegarex...hehe, yeah i get an instruction manual for the air compressor,but it is not detailed and make me confused.
"until it reaches the right pressure"?how much is the the right pressure?
yeah, it is about 45psi Gravermax manual say ,and i think you are right, the black ones are the base
the Gravermax manual said"SET AIR PRESSURE AND STROKE SPEED", i have ajusted the knob 3 to the correct pressure, and then i have to set it again on Gravermax like the manual said?
thanks very much for ur answer:)

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am not sure what pressure the compressor will go but I am guessing around 100psi.
The pressure on the Gravermax itself will be much lower. It should say in the manual for whatever handpiece you have.

connor

hi,yes, if the hadpiece need 45psi, then i adjust the knob 3 ,and make the pressure 45psi, then why adjust the pressure once more on the Gravermax, for a fine adjust??

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll chime in as well.

It looks like you have a nice on/off valve there on your compressor. Use that to 'turn off' the air when you're not using your Gravermax. That way your compressor's air tank will stay full and you won't have to wait for it to fill before you can begin work. The electrical power switch you leave in the "Auto/On" position so the compressor will run whenever the air pressure in the tank gets too low.

For the air pressure on the GraverMax you 'tune' the handpiece. Turn the air pressure knob down on the GraverMax, set the stroke to about 1,400 and hold the handpiece near your ear, pointing straight up. As you slowly turn up the pressure knob on the GM you'll hear the handpiece start to vibrate and buzz. At a certain point it will make the most noise, then get quite. That spot where it's just gone quiet is what you're after. The first few times you should double check to see if the pressure you're at is in the vicinity of what the manual / Rex said.

Item 6 on your first picture is something you'll use on occasion. It's the drain for your compressor's tank. Every now and then you want to drain your tank (I should do mine, now that I think about it) to get the water out. You can turn off the valve to your GraverMax first (while I turn off my unit I don't always unhook it). Open the drain valve and it will blow all of the water out. It will start with great force so make sure you're ready for any mess because the spray can be rusty. There's also a bit on the GraverMax to collect any water that makes it that far. I keep a rag under mine and occasionally open it to blow out any condensation. You need to have some pressure on the line to blow out the water.

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
Two of the black things are vibration absorbing feet that go on the base legs. There should be three of them. They are shown at the bottom of the first photo. Without them, the compressor will start walking all over the place when it is running. You'll find how far it can go when your air line pulls out and you're dead in the water.

The piece with the hose and nipple is item 1 on the first photo.

connor

hi, thank you very much,item 1 and 6 in the fist picture,seem i can pull them, then the water will be blowed out? but if i release the air in the tank by pulling the item 2(valve),then there will be no pressure in the tank, and it wont blow the water,just flow out naturaly?
so should i release the air in the tank when i dont use the compressor?
and normally,how often do you chean the tank and AIR FILTER SETTLEMENT BOWL ?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is better to drain with air in the tank. Not sure how often it needs to be done as it depends on where you live and how humid it is. Do it once every couple of weeks and then see how much water is there. Clean the bowl when there is water in it.
Leave the air in the tank. It shouldn't hurt anything.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Connor,
While the advice given will get you up and running, if you want to have your equipment run for longer without problems there are a few more things to do.

The Gravermax and handpieces need to be isolated from moisture. My compressor, which was purchased from GRS came with about 50 feet of tubing coiled around it with filtering to eliminate moisture.

It may be wise to call GRS, ask to speak to JB Taylor (800 835-3519), and discuss your installation.

Good Luck

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hi connor-

i'll send you a private message with my phone #, if you'd like me to walk you thru this. i'm 'mr. pneumatic'- i once owned 6 air compressors (i'm down to 'only' 4)

mitch

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
my compressor and filter arrangement is not exactly like yours and i'm afraid any photos would just confuse you. i have a much bigger, oil-lubricated compressor with a different switch and my filters (both water & sediment, and oil-coalescing*) are mounted on the side of my work bench.

*having an oil-less compressor allows you to skip this, but as several people have pointed out, you will still need to keep the water out. one other thing- a GraverMax uses a lot of air flow, so your compressor will be working pretty hard. make sure it isn't overheating. this is hard on the motor and can be especially damaging with an oil-less type. if you use it for long periods of time, you might need to install a cooling fan like this: http://www.grstools.com/air-compressors/004-693.html

connor

HI mitch, thanks very much , i checked my compressor, and there are two fan on both side of the motor, i think they are cool fan for reducing the temperature