What paint do i use for background in Australia

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi everyone.

I have been experimenting a little with different paints and wandered if anyone knows what's the best paint that can be bought for blackening engraving in NSW... i have a bunnings and a mitre 10 nearby... a hobby store, an art shop, big w, kmart.

Any ideas and all opinions more than welcome.

I am not happy with the one i'm using now because it's too glossy
Danae.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I never use paint for backgrounds, but I'm not opposed to it.
Some have used Rustoleum flat black enamel or fingerprint ink. (I think) the ink had to be "cured" after application with some sort of heat source like a light bulb or low temp-oven.
You'll get a few good answers here...stay tuned.
I never use it because I don't trust it to stay in the engraving after it's returned to the customer. I learned how to engrave the background darker with tool geometry and I almost always apply ferric chloride to kill off any shine.
That alone (ferric chloride) results in enough contrast between the background and the surface for me.
Good luck.

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
If you can find it get some Vipond's Drop Black. Will be in 250ml cans.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Can you tell me a little more about your tool geometry Brian? And is the ferric chloride hard to come by?

Regards,

Danae.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I relieve the background and stipple it, I use as sharp a point as possible. The steep angle of the point doesn't allow light to reflect out as much. Try it, you'll see.
The ferric chloride is/was sold in the U.S. from a company called RadioShack called "Etchant Solution". It us primarily used to etch copper circuit boards.
If you don't have RadioShack in NSW, I'm sure any electronics geek that has played with etching their own circuit boards would be able to help out.
By the way---Ferric Chloride is an acid...mild, but still acid. It must be neutralized with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and water after use.
Works on stainless steel too!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
www.gesswein.com they have an online catalog. amongst other items they sell bottles of black for antiquing jewelry. jewelry good the stuff-has a solvent of xylene. when it gets too thick, just add more xylene.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dani Girl

Mitre 10 or Bunnings sell oil based (enamel) house paint. Dulux or Taubmans are brands available in New Zealand. If not just ask at the counter.

Try to get a 250ml test pot as the 1ltr tins are way to much and 90% of it will dry up before you are able to use it

Cheers
Andrew

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks everyone for posting... I'm going shopping.

Can I ask one final favor. Can anyone post about different stipple tool geometries they have tried and as to whether anything is better than the sharpest point you can get? What's the best metal to use? I'm using a scriber at the moment but i think i could definately do better.

PS>.... THANKYOU EVERYONE. Danae.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Dani: I use Sharpie permanent marker. You clean the piece with acetone, cover with black marker, then use copier paper backed with a pink eraser to remove the ink from the surface of the metal. It's permanent and if it needs freshening up just redo it.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
You could also look for Speedball black oil based ink from art suppliers. Don't get the waterbased. Even one of our major art supply stores had to get it in for me but the tube will last years.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The speedball black oil based ink is what I'm using at the moment... it's great... but for larger background areas you get these big shiny puddles. ...it is the best I've tried so far... but I'll post again when I've got a more considered opinion on what works best.

Thanks everyone for posting.

Danae.

Latest posts

Sponsors