what type of ink?

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I just changed My ink cartridge. I have been using 62 HP ink for transfers and it has worked fine with no problems. (good transfers) I needed to change the cartridge and I did as usual. They will not transfer now. What happened? I checked the cartridge and it is No. 62XL rather than No. 62. Has any one else ran into this? Can you still get NO 62 ink?

colinskelly

i had a similar problem. It worked fine when I removed the 3 color cartridge and only used the black ink cartridge. Worked great for transfer on clear transparency film.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for your suggestions, however
1. It is an HP cartridge purchased at Staples.
2. Yes, I thought that XL means extra life or more pages printed.
3. Yes, I removed the color cartridge.
4. I even changed to more DPI but the image transfer is zero, nothing transfers!
5. The ink in the cartridge just has to be a different formulae. HP must be having different contractors making their cartridges and therefor they are using different inks.

Another thought is that in the XL cartridge they may use a different formulae to get more life out of the same amount of ink. Check your ink cartridges and see if you are getting good transfers from XL cartridges.

Thanks again

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another thought is that in the XL cartridge they may use a different formulae to get more life out of the same amount of ink. Check your ink cartridges and see if you are getting good transfers from XL cartridges
I can't speak to your cartridges as I use 61's. However, the regular black cartridges have 2 voids molded into the back. The XL's don't, hence more internal capacity. Either work and give good transfers with Tom White's films and solution.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I refill mine IN THE MACHINE with hp ink and have never had a problem, 61,62,63,and now #65. Pap

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had trouble once because my print cartridge had become too old. I changed it and all was fine. Could be that one was on the shelf too long.

allan621

The way it was explained to me, the printer is actually a mechanical device. If it prints on regular inkjet paper, then it should print on anything fed through the paper feeder. If it doesn't print on anything then the problem may not be the ink but what happened when the ink was installed.

So what I would do is check see if it prints on a regular sheet of inkjet paper. If it doesn't, remove the cartridge and see if the jets are still covered by the protective tape.

If that's okay then try re-installing the HP drivers for your printer and see if they have updated the drivers for your printer. When you installed the new cartridge it may have dislodged a line of software.

I went over to Amazon and looked over the one star reviews. Most of them deal with haphazard printing; missing sections, not printing all the sheets in a run, or just plain not printing after a while of use.

So hopefully the nice people at HP, wanting to keep the customers they momentarily have, will have read the reviews and fixed the drivers.

After this if the transfers still won't print, then I just don't know.

Good luck

Allan

T.G.III

All of this transfer stuff can be so confusing, I bought a Brother 2140 laser printer for the business quite a few years ago, it was an inexpensive solution to large volume printing.

In doing the research on the various forums the consensus was that the Brother laser printers would not work for transfers, in practice the group was correct in that the factory toner cartridges did not transfer at all using acetone or damar varnish.

After the factory ink cartridge was used up we purchased refill cartridges, think the company was Rapid Refill or some such, anyway using the refills I get transfers, go figure.

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If that's okay then try re-installing the HP drivers for your printer and see if they have updated the drivers for your printer. When you installed the new cartridge it may have dislodged a line of software.
Ding Ding......a bell just went off. I was having problems with my Deskjet and went to the HP site. They indeed did have an updated driver and printer utility package available.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
It does print. The print is very bold and clear. Looking at the print on the transparency under the microscope at high magnification you can see the print is raised above the surface of the sheet. I have printed many good transfers before I changed the cartridge. There seems nothing wrong with the print is coming out on the transparency sheet. Nothing comes off the sheet even with Tom White's solution. I haven't changed the cartridge yet I will try another.

Latest posts

Sponsors