Which Microscops is good?

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

I've got a question for all you microscope using engravers.

I've been searching the forum with the search word Microscope, and couldn't really find a post wich compares stereo microscopes with their pro's and con's.
So my question is, which microscope do you use, what are the pro's and con's and wich one would you suggest a starting engraver to get from a small to a larger budget.

At my work we've got a nameless microscope with a stepfree zoom. The details I don't know, but to my liking it starts with a bit to much magnification. I think 10x to 30times. The stepfree zoom I like a lot. It costs about 1000,-$
I'm thinking about bying one fo my own wordshop but would like some firsthand advice first.
Hopefully you can help me and others with the same question.

Thanks in advance!:)

P.S. This should become an item for the Tips Archive.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
what brand of scope

i bought a used "scienscope" on e-bay with the xtra.5 lens. i never heard of this brand before. it's all metal except for the focus knobs. it doesn't drift out of focus. the visual field is sharp and clear out to the edge. has good depth of field. nice baked on enamel finish.there are no doubt better scopes with the better known names, but this scope is well made, all functions are normal, and it was a good investment i feel. i,ve been using it long enough to know if there would be any negatives, but there are none with this scope. buy one with the .5 lens to go with it. that will not only cut your power, but will allow xtra room to swing hammers, crowbars, and use jackhammers and stuff !:D

Guarnera

Microscope

Type in Omano.com, it should get you to the microscope store. I bought a Mieji clone, made in china. They are really good at cloning things that other company's have built. This scope is recommended and sold through Steve Lindsy's sight. I really like it. I bought one for myself, and later bought 2 others for my day job. It cost me $500.00 with a boom stand and ring light. I can't recommend it enough. Good luck.

I am happy with my Unitron ZSB that I bought from a refurbisher on Ebay. Type in "unitron" on Ebay, you will find them, they are relatively common and you can get the whole thing minus objective lens for under 200. Just make sure if you buy a used scope to buy a professionally refurbished one, otherwise there are all kinds of potential internal issues that will be a nightmare for your eyes.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks so far.
This is a photo of the microscope at my work.

It's an Optika szm2 or szm4. Does anyone used this one or know anything about it?
I do think it's a proper scoop. Looks a bit like the
Omano OM3300/V10 - 7x-45x Stereo, Trinocular, Boom Microscope
[OM3300V10]
price: $765.00
(thanks for the website Guarnera!)
Looks like the Unitron ZSB to Michael!

I got an offer for the szm4 that goes from 7 to 45 mag. Together wit a 0.5x this should work a charm no? Tanks for the tip Monk.

My only doubt is the price at this moment. A good 1100$.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've not tried every scope there is, but the Chinese knock-offs of Meiji scopes I tried were considerably less bright than the real Meiji. Some had horrible focus drifting as the scope zoomed, and most had very out-of-focus areas except in the very center of view. Personally, I think every serious engravers' eyes deserve quality optics since you're going to be using the scope for endless hours. I'm not sure it's a good thing to cut corners on.

That's my 2-cents on the subject. Cheers / ~Sam

Guarnera

Microscopes

Sam,
I would agree that you may have to watch out with chinese knockoffs. But I like the Omano very much. I've never used a meiji to compare it to, but I use the Omano a lot at work for surface mount circuit board assembly and like it. Electronic parts are getting so darn small its even hard to do with the microscope sometimes.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently had a new Omano to test for a while and it was pretty darn good. They do have differing models, so you need to research.

There regular bino zoom is very good. microscope-store.com carries them. Danny is the guy to talk to. They carry the Lindsay setup and it's a great one for the price.

Unfortunately as of 3 months ago they did not have a really good trinoc design, The two eye they had was a small body job(dark), and the big body was a one eye.

I use Meijis for my students. They are hard to beat for quality, even though they are a little pricier thatn the Omano.

Last edited:

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam, I agree that you should not cut corners on cheap microscope's with cheap and falty lenzes.
May I ask what microscope you use?

And not allways but often the price of a microscope does indicate the quality.
I think that close to home the Optika szm4 with additional 0.5 thingy and adapters for my canon 30D camera, could be a wise choice for me.

Ofcourse I would like to know wich microscopes you all use and I think many with me.
And I think this should be an important add to your "tips archive".
The posts of microscope users ofcourse. Brand, type, specifics, costs and where they got it.
Or is this to much to ask?

The omano seems to pop op just as the scienscope,Meiji and Unitron.
Is it posible to get straight what minimum and maximun magnification is preferable, and what working space beneath the scope is handy?
There must be an average to look out for. And tips for how to recognize a good or bad microscope. Whith loupe's I know the way but for scopes it might be a litle different.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
scopes

these instruments are very much like any other consumer product consisting of lots of delicate parts. some of the parts can get out of adjustment. some scopes get thru quality control, that probably should not. i guess the scope purchase is like buying a car. you can get a deal or a lemon. the only true evaluation is to look thru one. most first-timers aren't aware, but a good scope will deliver a bright image all across its' field of view. there should be no chromatic aberration around the image. there should be a good 3-d image, it should not be flat- remember you're buying a "stereo" instrument. when you adjust for proper focus, it should remain there for days on end. a less than quality scope, or one in need of readjustment, will drift out of focus. this is a bummer for scope users. you should purchase only if the seller allows return. you'll never know if a scope is good till you look thru it . the best of them can be in serious need or repair.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Monk,
That is some healthy advise! (should be sound? advise?)
I'll defenetly take a look with your tips!

Thanks again!

Daniel

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hy Noud,

I got myself a string of led lights and attached it to the microscope.
First we had Halogene light's, but they made the work to sparkly and I burnt my hands a couple of times.
This led light is very dry, non sparkly and enough to have a very good view at your work.
Costs about 25,- euro's. (should get my employer to pay for it though)

noud peters

Hallo Daniel,

I'm Curious about the led lithning of your microscope. At which schop do you get them?
Thank you for your nice email. I send a packet today so you can practise a bit.
You were telling about the copper wheel for polishing stones whout be nice to try.
Intresting to meet you at the engravers cafe

Noud

Dave P

I use the GRS Meiji setup with the Akrobat arm. I have two of them, one is the EMZ 8TR model with a video camera setup. The 8TR has an image splitter and is a little bit darker than the plain Meiji, but it really only becomes apparent at higher mag. The new model 8TR is stereo as opposed to having a splitter like the old models. We have ring lights on both scopes. I am very pleased with the GRS setup and would recomend it to anyone. There are better scopes out there, but just like everything else, you get what you pay for and you have to pay more for better quality.

I have the 8TR at my bench with the video camera connected to a computer through a video card and software package similar to a DVR in the display area of our retail jewelry store. It has proven to be an outstanding tool. I no longer have to explain why someone needs some repair work, all I have to do is fire up the video and show them. Now instead of having to spend twenty minutes sketching and explaining damage or wear or inferior work, we hear only "Wow! Can you fix that?" No explanation necessary. I sometimes will leave it running while I'm working and people will stop in their tracks to watch. I have burned CD's with appraisals and also of engraving inside of wedding rings and that kind of thing. My customers really seem to love it.

The downside of this type of equipment is that you must do work at a level of quality that you can show at 10X or higher. I find it exciting to be able to show people what I do, and the level of quality we do at my store. It makes it easy to justify charging a premium price for what we do.

I would recommend that anybody that prides themslves on high quality work to consider installing this type of equipment. It is extremely useful, and has increased our credibility tenfold. It really is nice to be able to show someone why something costs what it does. A picture is worth a thousand words, it is said, and the video from this setup is worth a thousand words a minute.

Dave

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hy Noud,

The led string is one my father bought at ebay. I do have the guys phone number and will call him one of these days to see if he's got any left.
The copper wheel thing I posted a few minute's ago, but I'll send you one with a few carats of diamond powder for you to try. They can be used for polisching damaged face facets as well. Not as proper as taking the stone out and having it repolished, but for most customers a much cheaper alternative.

Dave,

I can see the benefits of showing customers a litle film of how to repair things etc.
Whenn I get my microscope I will be able to get perfect picture's, but will try to se to get a camera for film as well.
Thanks for the info.

Daniel

coinguy

Hello,

I've got a question for all you microscope using engravers.

I've been searching the forum with the search word Microscope, and couldn't really find a post wich compares stereo microscopes with their pro's and con's.
So my question is, which microscope do you use, what are the pro's and con's and wich one would you suggest a starting engraver to get from a small to a larger budget.

Hi -

I use the one I had aleady, a Nikon that I have had for many years. It is a good, tough older scope. I had it with me in a lab I worked in years ago when I was blown up, working on developing some new explosives, and it was one of the few things that survived the blast, along with me, or at least most of me. I had an adaptor plate made so that I could use it with the GRS acrobat stand, and I mounted a ring light on the bottom.

My suggestions, based on limited experience just getting going, is to make sure it has a low enough magnification. I had 10x and 20x lenses for mine, and first bought a set of 5x on ebay. Still too much. I looked and looked for a 0.5x lens to go with it, finally found one I could make work, and now the field of view is much better. I found I could not see all of a cut and would have to stop even a short cut to adjust the scope, and now I can finally see a good size work area.

Don't cut corners on cheap optics! I understand budgets and all, but make sure the glass gives you a clear, clear view. Most of the chinese stuff lacks that quality, at least with rifle scopes and such that I work with in my day job at the gunshop. Maybe the microscopes are different, I don't know. I've spent a few hours staring at very small things over the years and believe me, a clear glass saves the eye sight and your sanity. Should be no different for engraving.

Glen

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi,

I found a Zeiss OpMi for sale on another forum (FEGA) about a year ago & bought it. It came with the stand. I like it (I had an opportunity to try Chris DeCammilus' Zeiss at GRS last August). The Zeiss has an excellent field of view and is very bright. I don't use it very often but when I need it, there it is!

Weldon

Latest posts

Sponsors