Which Ron Smith book?

AJB

I plan to purchase one of Ron Smith’s books on scroll design, but I can’t decide between Drawing and Understanding Scroll Design, and Advanced Drawing of Scrolls.

As a complete novice, I’m not sure which would be more helpful in improving my design skills. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Tony

it seems as though one was made to prepare you for the other. i can only speak for myself here on this subject. first off it is important to know I can't draw worth a lick. i have never been and never will consider myself an artist. with that in mind the first book breaks down the art of the simple task like how to construct a scroll and the leaves that surround it. it is extremely helpful to a person like me. now the second book just builds on the first book and just multiplies your basic skills you learned in the first book. remember before these books the only thing I could do was draw back bones and it took me forever to get there. at one time I even through in the towel, but when I picked the towel back up somehow, they got better. I wish I would have started with these books first in the order in which they were made. both books are ones that once you start them you can't set them down and you will find yourself going back for more and more. for a person that can't draw they are both extremely valuable. the cost is minuscule compared to the knowledge inside

AJB

Thanks for the replies guys. I probably should have shown an example of my current skill level to give you an idea of just how much of a novice I am, but it is a bit embarrassing compared to all the beautiful work show on this forum. As a point of reference, I started engraving on September 20th, and my practice plates are half dollar sized washers that I had laying around. Anyway, here is my latest practice washer:

Attachments

• FD0CA588-FCB9-431C-BBC3-38BBE5930EE8.jpeg
    FD0CA588-FCB9-431C-BBC3-38BBE5930EE8.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 89

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
AJB, looking pretty good. Totally love the washer canvas. Iv had Ron‘s 2nd book for a while but a couple of weeks ago decided to take a step back and order the 1st… anyway when shopping I noticed that amazon and eBay have the prices quite a bit higher than GRS.com. Good luck and have a good one.

AJB

Thanks BB, did you find that the first book had information not included in the second book?

Doctorslava

I am also a novice and read both of Ron Smith's books. And it happened after I met him personally. I will tell you about my experience. First book was like an introduction. Reading it was like talking to Ron or maybe listening him. He mentioned some important things and it was relatively easy and fast reading. Second book is much more important to me. There are huge number of big and small things described that took to Ron years to get to and he is sharing his knowledge. It was not easy at all and I feel I need to return and read it more than once. So, my answer is: try to get both if you can, but the second one is definitely more important.

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The first book is still in transit. I very much agree with Doctorslava as I was lucky enough to meet and listen to Ron, He couldn’t be a more humble and wisdom filled man. After reading the beginning of his second book you may realize you are embarking on not only a journey into a wonderful art form but potentially a discipline that can help fulfill ones everyday life.

AJB

Thanks for the input. Based on your comments, Advanced Drawing of Scrolls was just ordered from FEGA. By far, they had the best price on the book!

Latest posts

Sponsors