Question: Who is Joseph Condon?

Rodger Connor

Here is a model 12 I recently purchased, engraved by Condon. Notice the oak leaves in the stock, just like the ones on my Condon rifle in gold.

Attachments

• B26DBD52-C59D-434F-AE14-CB2AE2C56582.jpeg
    B26DBD52-C59D-434F-AE14-CB2AE2C56582.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 306635AA-63BA-4068-A6D6-8141B478FA43.jpeg
    306635AA-63BA-4068-A6D6-8141B478FA43.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 64
  • E944D590-EDED-4AA6-998B-6DED91E98D13.jpeg
    E944D590-EDED-4AA6-998B-6DED91E98D13.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 1DDB12F5-575C-4730-BC27-0E9F9A25D118.jpeg
    1DDB12F5-575C-4730-BC27-0E9F9A25D118.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 56

Wickedtactical

Joe Condon, born in 1929, had a varied and interesting career. Among other things he was, a commercial artist, amateur heavyweight boxing champion, stunt driver, magician, custom jeweler, holster designer, stock maker, escape artist, and health club manager. Aside from all those things, by 1970 he had been a gun engraver for 20 years. Joe worked from his shop at the Sportsman's Den in Las Vegas. Among Joe's celebrity clients were Sammy Davis, Jr., Red Skelton, Buddy Hackett, and Elvis Presley.

Joe has been deceased for some years but I don't have the date of his death.
Darren that was it, I got that wrong. But if you doubt that I did not know Joe Condon then let the dance! You may be related but I doubt if you spent the close time that I did with them! Those guns in the picture I watch those being engraved! I watched him cast the inlays in an old washing machine centrifuge! I jump trampoline with Chris and Mark! We rode dirt bikes together daily! If you look on Mark's back if he still alive you will see a big scar I'll let him explain how he got that!
I have actual photos I will dig up no newspaper clippings! Chris was a skinnier good-looking one. Mark a little more heavy set and both prone to getting in trouble! Joe actually made me a ring, a little smaller. It was a 14 karat gold Genie, with a turban on his head. With an emerald stone in the turban and sapphire eyes. Did you know him that well?

dragonquest

Darren that was it, I got that wrong. But if you doubt that I did not know Joe Condon then let the dance! You may be related but I doubt if you spent the close time that I did with them! Those guns in the picture I watch those being engraved! I watched him cast the inlays in an old washing machine centrifuge! I jump trampoline with Chris and Mark! We rode dirt bikes together daily! If you look on Mark's back if he still alive you will see a big scar I'll let him explain how he got that!
I have actual photos I will dig up no newspaper clippings! Chris was a skinnier good-looking one. Mark a little more heavy set and both prone to getting in trouble! Joe actually made me a ring, a little smaller. It was a 14 karat gold Genie, with a turban on his head. With an emerald stone in the turban and sapphire eyes. Did you know him that well?
This was not meant to be a competition of Joe Condon knowledge, lol. I just find it amusing when people tell his story without knowing him. People keep saying he was a magician. No, he viewed himself as an ILLUSIONIST. You apparently knew him. I spent the summers with him. The last gun I saw him work on was the Clint Eastwood 44 Magnum which someone lost the jewel out of the detective shield on the ivory grips. Joe had a thing with ivory grips. They sucked on large caliber guns and inevitably split if the dumb ass that had the gun shot it. Marc passed away in Hawaii, Chris has also passed. Chris was indeed skinny and Marc was built like his father. Joe also made a genie ring for me, but with a cat’s eye. I not only watched him engrave rifles and pistols, but helped him cast the gold inlays. He had a soft spot for rams and mountain goats. Go figure. He used the lost wax method.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I find it amusing reading comments by two people, known only by cryptic screen names, who are expressing their intimate knowledge of Joe Condon without knowing the real name of each other. If each of you would divulge your real name you may find out that you knew each other years ago and maybe were friends. Of course, I understand your desire to remain anonymous if you are a CIA asset or wanted fugitive. :cool:

dragonquest

I find it amusing reading comments by two people, known only by cryptic screen names, who are expressing their intimate knowledge of Joe Condon without knowing the real name of each other. If each of you would divulge your real name you may find out that you knew each other years ago and maybe were friends. Of course, I understand your desire to remain anonymous if you are a CIA asset or wanted fugitive. :cool:

Read through the previous threads on this subject. I have more than clearly stated my name. Joe Condon’s birth name was Joseph Francis Nicolello. I am his brother’s son Joseph Charles Nicolello. I guess I should clarify that each and every time I reply to a statement on him. Three “I’s“ in a sentence. Back to writing class for me.

Johnny _19792002

Needed to read before I sent. The skill he wanted to excel at was M A G I C.............
Good evening. Five years ago I bought a Smith and Wesson model 19 that was Robert Goulet’s and was engraved by Joseph Condon. I was told that Elvis Presley bought this for Robert Goulet and I am trying tirelessly to prove it. I plan on leaving the model 19 in my will and as time goes on, information seems to be harder and harder to get. If you could help me with any information on this particular model 19, I would be very grateful.

Thank you for your time!

oh I forgot, the pawn shop that I bought this from in California supposedly had the ivory grips and refused to ship them to me because of some confusion on ivory laws on their end. That was a tough blow but when I bid on it, it had just regular wooden s&w grips so I didn’t know It was Robert Goulet‘s until after I won the auction. I have spent an embarrassing amount of time looking on the Internet and through old books trying to find information on this model 19.

Attachments

• 4B952107-7164-404B-81D5-93FDDC338818.jpeg
    4B952107-7164-404B-81D5-93FDDC338818.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 31

dragonquest

That gun should have been engraved way before any ivory embargo, so I suggest you ask them on what basis they are holding them back. It sure looks like his work. The problem is that Joe was very poor at keeping records and I am unaware of his ever having had an ffl. With that much engraving and gold inlays it sure would be a piece that would have had ivory grips.

Latest posts

Sponsors