Question: Why 3 holes on top of the vise?

Patrice Lemee

As I posted before I am making top plates, I guess you can call them jaws, for this PEPE vise.

Do I need 3 holes in them also and why is that? Don't the adjustments come from the pins on top?

Thanks.

PS: Thanks Brian (Powley). I found the perfect mower tire for the base. Looks like it was made for it. :)

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of the top plates will have two locating pins and the other will have only one. This allows the one with one pin to swivel when holding angular objects. The top pins add further adaptability.

Patrice Lemee

Thanks D. One less hole to drill! :D

While I am at it, what diameter for the top pins?
The bottom ones are 250 thou. Since this is a smaller vise after all and I am not engraving shotguns maybe I could go a little smaller to get more in there and better adaptability.

Patrice Lemee

Just thought I'd post a picture of the completed vise plates (not the prettiest but should do for a start) and the mower tire I found for the base. I also included a pic of a chain vise I made a while ago. Just need to finish it and adapt it to the ball vise somehow.

Now I just need some projects to start practicing! :big grin:

Thanks again for your help.

spank7357

Elite Cafe Member
vermilion, ohio (on lake erie) and Inverness, Fla.
Hey Patrice,

While on the subject of work-holding, I read on this forum about using GRS thermoplastic and decided to try some. Great stuff! You can hold almost anything and it is reusable to boot. There are some designs for adapting its use to the vise that probably help even more but i've yet to try them. Welcome to the forum and keep posting. Best Regards, Dave "Spank" Spanski