Help, please: Winchester Engraving

Dan M

Help please? I'm trying to find the engraver who did the work shown in the attached photos. Pauline Muerrle has determined that it was not done by a factory engraver. Provenance of this Model 70 Super Grade is the Massachusetts area. I can't see any initials using a magnifying glass but perhaps they are incorporated. Thanks for any help.

Dan M IMG_1072 (2).JPG IMG_1075 Resize.JPG IMG_1081 Resize.JPG

Dan M

Ok, I'll try again. I have to read the instruct IMG_1097.JPG IMG_1095.JPG ions on the camera :)

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dan, the inlay of the Elk is silver and all the guns I've seen like yours of the Japanese engraved gun the animals and birds inlays were done in silver never saw one with gold your gun was engraved in Japan. J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with JJ Roberts. The scrollwork shows common characteristics of Japanese work. This gun was probably ordered through a BX/PX in Japan during occupation then engraved locally.

Dan M

Thanks very much for helping me out. I would have never guessed work done in Japan but the thought it was ordered though a PX makes some sense. There was a custom walnut stock with the rifle with engraving on the pistol grip cap and the barrel was shortened to remove the front sight screw holes and the muzzle engraved as well. Must have been an officer to afford all the work.
thanks for educating me and taking the time to help me out.
Dan

Sponsors