Winston Churchill masterpiece

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Churchill engraved this pendant for Kim Pember at GRS, and it really has to be seen in-hand to be appreciated. He drew the flowers from a rose bush planted by his mother years ago. As is obvious, it's Churchill's mastery of design that sets him apart. While the rest of us debate various graver steels, face & heel angles, microscopes and handpieces, Winston quietly creates masterworks like this with a low power Optivisor and a graver hand-shaped from a discarded industrial hacksaw blade. / ~Sam

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
As you will find in all sports and other human endeavors, "It's not the equipment
that is the problem" or "don't blame the equipment".

This is really incredible work. Is there any way that you can publish a higher
resolution picture so we can study it?

Les Schowe

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, does Winston use push gravers or hammer & chisel? Absoultey amazing!As hammer & chisel guy myself it pushes me to get better.
thanks for showing,
Kent

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
My Oh MY!!! Winston make a design without a spine. But the design is so fantastic that the imagination draws the spine. To me the most amazing parts are the lines he did not put in, and how it draws the mind into the engraving to appreciate the details he left out. Its like a story that is left open with mystery and romance so that the reader/ spectator can create his own detail. It just grows on you .... it draws you to a point where you have to look away to break the spell .... just to stare again and be intrigued again.

Well done Winston. Kim must be a very proud owner of such a fine piece.

Christiaan

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In all of the examples shown, that is real power and inspiration is it not?......Ron S

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To those of you who may not have had the chance to meet Winston: He is not only a great artist, designer and engraver but also an excellent teacher as well! I had the opportunity to study with him (Grand Masters '07) and found him to a genuinely gregarious man, passionate about his art and always encouraging to his students (and others as well). His love for life and all things beautiful accompanied by his passion and ability to express himself so well in his chosen field will leave an indelible mark.

In my opinion, Sam's title "Winston Churchill masterpiece" describes not only this particular piece of art but also the man himself!

Weldon

Tdavis

Hacksaw blade

Hi Sam,
Nice piece, I have been a long time fan of Mr. Churchills work. I read long ago that he makes gravers from hacksaw blades and I was wondering if you noticed how he ground them? I have a couple old metal cutting blades that I have been meaning to make into gravers and would be interested in what others are doing. I have used die sinker chisels #3 onglette for my main cutting tool on steel and felt like that would be a good way to grind my hacksaw blade gravers but would sure like to hear other thoughts and ideas.
Thanks,
TDavis

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Travis: Winston uses onglette shaped gravers.
John B: National Treasure indeed.

~Sam

Ravenhill

Banned
WOW! I m in awe. I first tried onglette gravers after reading Meeks book as it seems to be his favorite graver shape also, but I can NOT cut a line without large burrs! Does Mr. Churchill sand down the burrs and if so with what?
Truely amazing work.