Question: Work Holding Setup for Revolvers/1911s

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Hello All.
I'm looking for advice on my work holding setup. i have a solid turntable, but I need a vise and vise accessories.

My main focus is revolvers, maybe 1911s, but we can just say handguns for a general category.

There are so many options in work holding, I thought I would get some input from those of you who do a fair bit of work on guns.

I do not expect, at this point, to be doing much in the way of rifles and shotguns. My focus is handguns in particular.

Thanks in advance for your input and advice. I appreciate your time.
br.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
I had searched prior to posting this and found little pertaining to revolver setup, but last night I did find a good thread that covered enough to be of help.

Anyone else wanting this same type info, search "work holding" rather than vises, etc.

Sorry for the post on a well covered topic! Thanks all.
br.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had searched prior to posting this and found little pertaining to revolver setup, but last night I did find a good thread that covered enough to be of help.

Anyone else wanting this same type info, search "work holding" rather than vises, etc.

Sorry for the post on a well covered topic! Thanks all.
br.

I did the search I saw some articles on thermal loc but nothing really related to handguns. Could you possibly post a link I'm also interested in firearms engraving

Carlos De La O III

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike Dubber has a setup for fixtures he uses to Colts. There are a couple of others as well. You will find ads, I believe, in the FEGA magazine. Fred

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you, Fred. I thought I had come across an SAA fixtures setup, but I couldn't find it now that I'm ready... naturally. :)

I will look there and see what Mr. Dubber has. Thanks again.
br.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
You can also order the DVD of John Barraclough's 2013 Reno seminar on holding devices.

If you buy John's seminar and Katherine Plumer's seminar on scrimshaw as a set, you will get a price break FEGA site. They were outstanding seminars in which you will see the devices and how to use them and how to make your own.

Also, Christian DeCamillis carries Mike Dubber's set of SAA holding fixtures in his web store for $295. This set contains every fixture you need for every part on a Colt SAA, including the frame screws.

http://www.engraversstudio.com/apps/webstore/

Mike was kind enough to lend me his personal set to work on my first pistol project before the commercial version was developed. They are outstanding and well worth the price, considering the time that would go into making a set yourself. He even gave me a prototype backstrap jig for my very own. Mike is not only very talented, he is very thoughtful and generous.

Rex Pedersen and John B. also know another gentleman who sells a similar set which I have not seen. Perhaps one of them will weigh in with his name and address, etc., as I do not know the man and have not seen his fixtures.

OOPS! I failed to mention my good friend Fred Bowen and his excellent holding device. He has an article about it in the latest Engraver Magazine, and his ads have been in the back of the magazine for many years.

He had his latest barrel-holding fixture at Reno this year and it is very stout and versatile. Fred has been producing Colt fixtures for many years and keeps making them better.

You have many choices.

Last edited:

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
You can also order the DVD of John Barraclough's 2013 Reno seminar on holding devices.

If you buy John's seminar and Katherine Plumer's seminar on scrimshaw as a set, you will get a price break FEGA site. They were outstanding seminars in which you will see the devices and how to use them and how to make your own.

Also, Christian DeCamillis carries Mike Dubber's set of SAA holding fixtures in his web store for $295. This set contains every fixture you need for every part on a Colt SAA, including the frame screws.

http://www.engraversstudio.com/apps/webstore/

Mike was kind enough to lend me his personal set to work on my first pistol project before the commercial version was developed. They are outstanding and well worth the price, considering the time that would go into making a set yourself. He even gave me a prototype backstrap jig for my very own. Mike is not only very talented, he is very thoughtful and generous.

Rex Pedersen and John B. also know another gentleman who sells a similar set which I have not seen. Perhaps one of them will weigh in with his name and address, etc., as I do not know the man and have not seen his fixtures.

Thanks so much, Mike. This is exactly what I was looking for. I thought there were fixtures designed specifically for them. I appreciate the info!
br.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
So, the SAA fixtures is solved. Thanks so much to all.

Here's a preference question: Is there any appreciable difference between the Magnablock and the Goliath? Goods, bads, or reasons for one over the other, given that this set of SAA fixtures will be one of the main uses for it?

They appear to be very similar in design and function, to me. What do you guys think, and use?
br.

mrthe

So, the SAA fixtures is solved. Thanks so much to all.

Here's a preference question: Is there any appreciable difference between the Magnablock and the Goliath? Goods, bads, or reasons for one over the other, given that this set of SAA fixtures will be one of the main uses for it?

They appear to be very similar in design and function, to me. What do you guys think, and use?
br.
Two vises are very similars,same weight,30 lb and both very good vises,maybe the only difference is that the goliath block is a medium profile vise that is helpful if you use it under the scope and tilt it, and have too a lower center of gravity that can help you in stability

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
I can engrave any gun using my old Victor vise.... 1911's, SAA's, shotgun/rifle receivers all of them. I do own special fixtures for these firearms but just never use them or really need them.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
OOPS! I failed to mention my good friend Fred Bowen and his excellent holding device. He has an article about it in the latest Engraver Magazine, and his ads have been in the back of the magazine for many years.

He had his latest barrel-holding fixture at Reno this year and it is very stout and versatile. Fred has been producing Colt fixtures for many years and keeps making them better.

You have many choices.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
That monster vise looks awesome! I don't know what I'd engrave to need it - but awesome. My metal engraving addition to what I do now is all fairly small stuff, at this point. So I'm tooling up for those items.

Now, if I can justify a huge, steel, crazy strong tilting vise support in the future - I know where I'm looking. :)

Thanks for that info, Mike and Fred. I did request pricing... I couldn't help it.
br.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like Dennis, I have used a Victor type vise (17 pound) for almost all my gun engraving. For lever action rifle receivers (Henry, 66, 73, 94, etc.) I prefer a larger vise.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Here's an old thread with contact information for where to get Colt SAA fixtures:
Fred Bowen and Carrell Rowles - Colt SAA Engraving Fixtures

Thanks Doc. I had received a reply from Mr. Dubber who also recommended Carrell Rowles, along with others, to help me find a set. I was lucky to find one already. If someone else needs/wants a set, Rowles may do special order sets if you cannot find one in stock somewhere. Mike said they are getting hard to find as of late. Thanks for the reference, my friend!

Like Dennis, I have used a Victor type vise (17 pound) for almost all my gun engraving. For lever action rifle receivers (Henry, 66, 73, 94, etc.) I prefer a larger vise.

I googled Victor vises, but the result was not specific. Is there a source for these, Roger? A Victor company, or are these older vises that are no longer mfg'd?
br.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Letourneau-Vise1x1[1].jpg

No longer mfg'd....But they turn up on ebay every week. I am fortunate to have a Ray Letourneau 45lb...last vise I will ever need :)

Donny

Latest posts

Sponsors