Work holding with Cerro Safe type alloys.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
big un: i got nailed 3 times with 440 dc in a coal mine. that was a thrill, to say the least. apologies for getting off track, the other thrill, being trapped for an hour or two by a fire in the mine section i was working in. had to change diapers after.

Martin Cruz Smith's, "Rose" is a very well-researched novel (as his tend to be) that involves coal mining in Victorian England. His descriptions of the mine left me wanting to go run out into the middle of a big field on a bright sunny day. An interesting factoid: Circa 1850 the two fastest means of travel for people were by horse and an elevator descending into a coal mine shaft.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My son, when quite young, was trying to be helpful when I was working in the attic wiring a light fixture and decided I shouldn't be working in the dark, so he turned on the light switch. I'll have to say, there was light!...but only for an instant. I knew I should have turned the circuit off.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
My father, who is now 101 years old, obtained his journeyman plumbers license before he joined the Navy at the onset of WWII. He recalls that he thought it was absurd that he was required to demonstrate proficiency in lead wipe joints in 1941 when plumbers had already stopped using such joints way back then. He passed the test.

When I use cerrosafe on irregular shaped items, I suspend the workpiece with 30 gauge copper wires and lower it slowly and carefully onto the heated cerrosafe, leaving it high enough so that I can get at the borders of the object, then wait for the liquid to solidify, which happens quickly. Otherwise the piece to be engraved will sink too far and sleep with the tin fishes.