Work holding

Rancher Mike

What is the best way to hold practice plates? When I hold them between pins on top of the engraving vice the plate lifts slightly when clamping force is applied making it like a trampoline. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong cattagory, I'm new to this site. Thanks Mike

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mike, Hot glue is the way I hold plates and any small gun parts, works for me. J.J.

Rancher Mike

Thanks JJ, do you glue it to a plate of some sort so the work can be moved to center the part as you engrave in the vice?

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hot glue as well, also depending on the piece I'll apply blue painters tape to the workpiece before I hot glue it to the block of wood, makes for easier removal.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Before I use the hot glue I cover the back with painters tape, then trim it for clean edges, and glue to a block of wood. I remove it with het gun. For my practice plates I go to a hardware store or Tractor Supply and buy steel flat bars and polish them on a belt sander. with some final hand polishing. I usually get 3 inch wide stuff and cut it to 3 inch squares or what ever size I want. It cuts great.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
when you hot glue it to a block, leave one edge or at least a corner overhanging the wood. to remove it, flip it over and put just a couple drops of acetone on the exposed edge of metal and push down. the instant the solvent starts to wick between the metal and the glue it will pop off. do it over a pad or something soft because it happens in a split second. it typically comes off perfectly clean.

Rancher Mike

I've tried using the glue and am having a problem with the glue setting up before I can get the plate on.

troutbox

there's always drilling some holes and using brass screws......

you can even do that without electricity....or chemicals.

Rancher Mike

Heating the metal in the oven at 200 and then applying the glue seems to be working. I do like the screw down idea, have to try that next.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I'm thinking you don't have enough of the back your plate against the vice in other words your clamp is way spread apart and there's very little the back of the vibration. I found that I put a slight anel on my pens with a file the whole flat surface as a wedge facing down for device. That remove the vibration cuz it was the plate forcing down against the face of the vice IE top of the vise. Hot glue helps to remove a lot of the vibration and it backs it up I found it a solid hold will help keep it from moving. This will increase your grave her life stop breakage of your bits I'm not being clear please let me know I will try to be more explicit

Rancher Mike

I'm thinking you don't have enough of the back your plate against the vice in other words your clamp is way spread apart and there's very little the back of the vibration. I found that I put a slight anel on my pens with a file the whole flat surface as a wedge facing down for device. That remove the vibration cuz it was the plate forcing down against the face of the vice IE top of the vise. Hot glue helps to remove a lot of the vibration and it backs it up I found it a solid hold will help keep it from moving. This will increase your grave her life stop breakage of your bits I'm not being clear please let me know I will try to be more explicit
It seems the pins have a slightly sloppy fit and as pressure is applied they spread a little in the pin hole causing an upward taper. Are you saying you compensate for this by filing the lower part of the pin so the clamping force is holding the work on the face of the vise?

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
It seems the pins have a slightly sloppy fit and as pressure is applied they spread a little in the pin hole causing an upward taper. Are you saying you compensate for this by filing the lower part of the pin so the clamping force is holding the work on the face of the vise?
Yes I am. And the more area of your work that is in contact with the vise the less the vibration that can be transmitted back into your graverbit. Ie the longer your graver life will be. I did not ask what type of vise you are using either. If it is a knock off you will be encouraging other problems soon. But we all start off some were.

Rancher Mike

I think my vise is adequate, it was made some time ago by Ray Letourneau. The pins have a nail nick, so I might make some others as you describe. Thanks Mike

Gordon

For flat things, I really like something that Sam Alfano shared with me: Super Glue to a hard steel backing plate. To remove, turn it over and whack the back of the steel plate with a couple of sharp raps with a hammer...bingo.. the pieces easily separate. DSC_0001.jpg

Rancher Mike

Sometimes I use double sided carpet tape. Sometimes I super glue the plate on a wood block. Just heat them to remove.
Hi Jerry this is Mike Schoeningh in North powder thanks for the reply and hope you are doing well. Would like to get together and visit sometime, almost done calving.