Workholding idea for 12x12 plate?

dbeck

Does anyone have any ideas for holding a 12X12 3/16 maybe (1/8th) piece of steel plate? I would need to use the microscope and cover most of the plate so I am thinking about positioning. Any ideas or pictures of solutions for similar solutions?
Thanks in advance and have a great day.
Derek

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i made a large board like jonathan. on mine, i drilled and tapped all the holes for small machine screws. with 5 or 6 screws, if one should get in yer way, just move it to a new location. it would help to have a heavy vise.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i use a a piece of 3/4" plywood slightly smaller* than the dimensions of the plate, then use wood screws to attach a 3/4" x 1.5"w x length of board cleat on the back. it gets repositioned as necessary.

*i use a thin smear of hot glue to attach the plate. when you want to remove it, flip it over, put a few drops of acetone on the back of the overhanging edge, and gently push the plate off the block. as soon as the acetone starts wicking under the plate, the whole thing will pop off, sometimes completely clean. do it over a towel or something soft, because it can break free in a second.