working while staying at home

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Monica
I,m not finished with the last scene and need a bit of a change so i can look at it with a refreshed point of view. AKA..burnt out
So I decided to start the scroll work on the frame Working larger will losen me up a bit so i can be more objective finishing the scene when i return to it
So here is the begining of my scroll on the front of the frame
Stay safe
C1027128-01B6-49B2-A6A4-E7E89233C375.jpeg

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Well this doesn't match the quality of other posts on here but I knocked this out today.
Marty do you use a normal push graver handle for your scenes or how do you hold the gravers.
SamW the 73 is going to be spectacular as always but the Rolling block has had my attention since you teased us with part of it a couple years ago.

Attachments

• PAST MASTER KNIFE (2).jpeg
    PAST MASTER KNIFE (2).jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 91

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I either try and follow a contour of the figure or whatever seems right at the moment sometimes mixing it up creates a nice texture.
Hope that makes sense.
Like I've said many times, I am just drawing with my graver. Just go with the flow and have fun whats the worse that can happen? You can always run over beer cans

I remember in art class in high school we had to try scratchboard technique with a fine tipped nib, kind of like drawing with a graver. We covered a piece of hard, heavy posterboard with India ink and went at it with the nib. It was very exacting as no mistakes were allowed, they showed up instantly! I still have mine from the class and it helped when I started doing some bulino work.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well this doesn't match the quality of other posts on here but I knocked this out today.
Marty do you use a normal push graver handle for your scenes or how do you hold the gravers.
SamW the 73 is going to be spectacular as always but the Rolling block has had my attention since you teased us with part of it a couple years ago.

Great knife. Is it for anyone in particular? If so, he must have been a good P.M. to get such a good piece of art.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Big-Un The knife was ordered by a PM for his son who just became a PM. Honestly I know nothing about the Masonic Order. I spent a lot of time on the web trying to find out the legality of doing the symbol. Lots of conflicting info finally told the customer he was paying for the knife and scrolls I would throw in the symbol.
Thanks Marty I was just wondering if you had some kind of homemade graver holder for your bulino work. I have a hand problem because of a couple incidents of severely insufficient clearance when I was younger. Pushing a graver is painful just looking for ideas.
Paps, nope
Thanks,Leland

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leland
Here is a picture of my push gravers. They are made sometimes out of a reground flat graver or sq glensteel
The handles are the GRS rubber one which I do like the feel and the others long one is for poking dots with a 70 degree graver and no heel
I am also using the GRS airTact with a monarch hand piece. I can really cut long very fine lines with it. So use power if you have to

IMG_2929.jpg

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
looks good Dan Now start shading it

How are you holding the cap in your vice It looks screwed down to something I usually just hot melt glue it to a piece of wood.

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks John and Marty.

Marty, I am simply using pins in the vice. What looks like a wide screw slot in the middle is actually just the gap between two jaws. Nice optical illusion.

not sure what to do with the concave side around the circumference. I would need some way of holding it at an angle for that. Of course leaving it blank is easiest, running wheat is perhaps the next Easiest. Maybe I will just let it sit for a while after the face is done and think about it.

Dan

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Finally moved from design to chips flying on the P&V rifle. OK, it is just the grip cap but still a start.

Ooh, really lovely work! Love the way you've terminated the scrolls with articulated acanthus leaves and tucked them in so neatly!

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK now i see the pins I gave up on pins a long time ago as they have a tendancy to deform or mar the edges thats why i either make a holding jig or just glue it down especially for the bizarre shapes i end up having to engrave

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Will start looking through my photo albums for some pictures.[/QUOTE

Finally found the pics after looking through a lot of old albums (40 years old or older) and just need to figure out how to scan them, clean them up and post them.

Latest posts

Sponsors