Wriggle and 'Flutter' video demo

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=2030206330

This web reference shows a soprano saxophone being engraved in Japan and done very fast and accurately. Note the wriggle tool is very long handed, and it seems to me when wriggling on a round surface this could be a good approach.

The 'flutter' engraver is like a radius end knife blade and is used for rapid shading on flower leaves in Western Bright Cut.

This video shows very large flutter tools being used with great skill to add contrast.

Rod

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Rod,The tools the engraver is using look home made,maybe made from a screw driver & a file.I like the home made cradle thats holding the saxopone.Not easy engraving on a round surface.Thank for sharing.J.J.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Rod, That was interesting. Diane Scalese does something she calls fluttering in which she holds a wide chisel almost upright and rocks it rapidly while pushing forward. She uses this technique for doing the shading on flowers. It has the appearance of single line shading except it's super fast to do.

Chris

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That was really cool to see. Man alive I hate wriggling, and my wrist gets sore just watching that. The flutter tool resembles mine, which is just a really big wriggle tool. Did I mention that I hate to wriggle, and I am lousy at it to boot, which is why I really respect this fellow's work.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Interesting..
What I also noticed was he must have slipped a few times judging from the REALLY thick leather glove he is wearing on his left hand....

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You learn something every day! That "flutter" chisel must be an inch wide. It would not work the same way on a flat surface. On a curved surface he can control the witdth of his cuts by rocking more or less.

Notice that heavy leather glove on his left hand. I wonder how many scars he put on that hand before he started wearing the glove. :eek:

I would think that if you did Oda's technique all day you would get a monster case of carpal tunnel.

Thanks for posting that Rod.

RB

Looks like Rex and I were writing at the same time.

Last edited:

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I notice that he also uses his left gloved hand to clear away burs, which would be important since he's rolling that sax around on the felt and it seems to me the felt would catch burs and possibly scratch the sax up.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'll say it again: old , junk, brass lamp parts can be had at your local junk yard for next to nothing. these surfaces are perfect to practice this type cutting on. the stuff is also thin. not quite as thin as instrument brass, but an excellent starting point for someone wanting to try doing a trumpet or sax. to a newbie, don't be misled, it may look as though the engraver is using a lot of down pressure. not so. very light pressure, as the metal is very thin. the tools are kept absolutely sharp !

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, Chris,

Diane and others do use the flutter tool, and I learned it from her. It is very fast, and of course be warned, y'all, as it can do a lot of damage real fast. The tool is always as sharp in cross section as a thin knife, and always has a gentle radius. I bought one of Diane's bracelets at Fega Reno 2010, it was so pretty, and it is nice to have it as a reference, to practice the 'western bright' vocabulary of cuts, including flutter. I am saving up to buy something from your own hand, Chris! Thanks for your email, and I will call soon as I finish two flutes that are overdue.

Good point, Roger, on a curved surface, the width of cut can be varied with good precision.

best

Rod

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk,

Another ready source for practice on curved surfaces is copper plumbing pipe from the hardware store. If behaves almost like silver. I slice it up into about one inch lengths and have a specially made fixture for mounting it. But simply clamp a steel round bar sticking out one end of the ball vise jaws, cut a six inch long copper pipe that fits onto the bar, hold the end of it and you can revolve the pipe with your hand as you also turn the ball vise. Once you leave the flat earth society, you really must always be conscious of tool angle, as it is constantly changing.

Rod

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Nice to see this. If done correctly, like here in the video by Juzo Oda, it is highly decorative.

In Dutch, this method is called "Trembleren'. It was the first engraving method that I learned at school. We used a flat for this, not the wide one Juzo is using in this video.
We learned to use this method for relief engraving as well.

Latest posts

Sponsors