You Want Chips With That?

bud2

I’ve been a professional jeweller for 40 plus years. Taking on engraving as a side hobby, just an interest really. In my shop, I’ve a two-person workbench where I’ll be doing my engraving. Being a show room, I’ve also got carpet on the floor. Yes, even under my bench. It’s not that much of a problem as the scraps-tray catches the filings. But how do you guys control the ‘chips’ that come from engraving? I can separate the ferrous from the nonferrous but I can see those long, pointy bits of metal on the carpet being a real headache.

What’s your solution?

Bud

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
There is no solution. The chips are little coiled springs that when released fly everywhere. Usually for me they fly forward so I have my block on a stand close to the bench. A lot of chips land on top of the bench but not all. When I moved into my present locationI put down a carpet and let some chips land there. I don't vacuum the carpet so when I move or retire the carpet gets sent to a refinery to see whats actually caught in it.

I engrave jewelry all day long. The chips don't really amount to much anyway. In 43 years the only time I really had enough precious metals to think about was when I was piercing out pendants. With actually jewelry work you can think about worth. Actual jewelry engraving you think about raising prices to make extra money. For me that works.

Allan

Similarly to Allen I have a open face workbench directly in front of my vice stand so about 80% of my chips end up flying forward into the open desk space or directly down onto my vice stand below.
The small amounts that fall to the floor are easily cleaned with a shop vac.
The much bigger problem that you I run into is sanding dust. If you’re doing lots of sanding of metals (particularly on a belt sander) the grey metal dust will build up in piles and get everywhere if you don’t have some kind of dust collector.
If you’re only concern is the engraving chips it’s very manageable if you just buy a larger catch tray to set your vice into and some of sort of open desk like I have or front catch system.
Good luck!

Why not purchase one of those plastic office mats that are placed benith the seat and somewhat under the desk. It could easily be cut and modified to fit under your seat and bench. Then all you'd need to do is simply sweep up any chips.

Sponsors